The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Collecting Metrics Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've seen a few forum postings where users say "I've got M actions in my N projects." How do you get those numbers?

I'd like to try tracking these numbers for a while, to get an idea of how fast actions and projects are added and completed. I'm guessing I can somehow get these numbers through AppleScript. Has anyone already done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher Johnson View Post
I've seen a few forum postings where users say "I've got M actions in my N projects." How do you get those numbers?

I'd like to try tracking these numbers for a while, to get an idea of how fast actions and projects are added and completed. I'm guessing I can somehow get these numbers through AppleScript. Has anyone already done this?
The most fun way would be to get an iPhone or iPod touch and the version of OmniFocus for it :-)

If you don't want to go that route, Toadling contributed a nice Applescript some time ago that will give you some statistics on your database. You can find it here.

It looks like there are perhaps multiple versions of Dennis' script floating around, as the one I linked to doesn't appear to have some of the functionality of the one I've used. You can get an approximate action count (approximate in that it appears to count action group parents and maybe projects as well) by going to the Terminal application and incanting the following:

Code:
sqlite3 ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.omniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase2 'select count(*) from Task';
The number returned is a count of your actions and possibly the action group parents and projects (I'm not at a computer where it is practical to do the obvious experiment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It looks like there are perhaps multiple versions of Dennis' script floating around, as the one I linked to doesn't appear to have some of the functionality of the one I've used.
Yes, I made some updates to it at some point and re-posted it in another thread.

This post has the most recent version for anyone who's interested:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...23&postcount=3

@Kristopher Johnson: Of course, using your iPhone is good too. Note, however, that the script and the iPhone count items slightly differently, so they don't come up with the same numbers.

-Dennis

Actually, I do have it on my iPhone. Clicking the Info button, I now see that I have 91 projects and 449 actions. Thanks!