The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

drag cursor display bug Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In 5.1.3, dragging or shift-dragging images or a text clipping to a Finder window displayed a green "+" cursor badge and thumbnail of the dragged image. The cursor badge went away when the mouse was released to indicate the image dropped as expected.

This does not happen with the SP's (9-11). The behavior is inconsistent and there is no feedback that the operation worked. The behavior is equally unpredictable for both dragging and shift-dragging. Sometimes, the visible image thumbnail is displayed next to the cursor during the drag. Sometimes it's a white blank icon. Sometimes it's just the cursor. The badged cursor is never displayed. It is often impossible to tell that a drag has produced without looking at the file listing in the drag location. The only two things that seem to associate with this behavior are the dimensions of the original image and the position of the dragged filename in the Finder window list relative to what the window is displaying (if you have to scroll to see the dragged filename or not--list/colmn view).

Related to this, the image in the browser window highlights when the image is selected and the cursor is dragged outside the bounds of the window. Sometimes not. When the image highlights, it stays highlighted until you click outside the image bounds in the OW window. 5.1.3 did not highlight like this.

Known issue:
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof.../releasenotes/
Shift-Drag linked images producing unexpected results.

I the link highlight is a known issue as well.

Edit: yep, it is: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...09&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Known issue:
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof.../releasenotes/
Shift-Drag linked images producing unexpected results.

I the link highlight is a known issue as well.

Edit: yep, it is: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...09&postcount=2
The highlight is applied to the image on the web page. This is not a link highlight issue as referenced. This occurs regardless of whether the image is dragged directly or shift-dragging a linked image. Different bug.

Your second link is a single post which does not indicate which reported issue is being responded to. As the behavior I'm seeing is not limited to shift-dragging images and occurs when an image is directly dragged or you do a text clipping from a page, it is also a different bug (or the "unexpected behavior" is not limited to just shift-dragging).

I guess I'm not fully understanding the issue then. I am not seeing any difference between 5.1.3 and sp11 with image highlighting and dragging, even when I'm dragging to the Finder. There could be something, but I can't seem to reproduce it. This combined with shift+dragging was why I thought links may have been involved.

Quote:
Your second link is a single post which does not indicate which reported issue is being responded to.
The subject is in the top right of the window, and if you click on that you can view the full thread. Doesn't seem to be the same as what you're talking about, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I guess I'm not fully understanding the issue then. I am not seeing any difference between 5.1.3 and sp11 with image highlighting and dragging, even when I'm dragging to the Finder. There could be something, but I can't seem to reproduce it. This combined with shift+dragging was why I thought links may have been involved.

The subject is in the top right of the window, and if you click on that you can view the full thread. Doesn't seem to be the same as what you're talking about, however.
5.1.3 never highlights the image in the manner I describe. What I'm saying is that the image dragged from the browser window has the highlight color mask applied to it (in the browser window) and the highlight mask is persistent until you explicitly click elsewhere in the browser window. If you drag an image out of a 5.1.3 window, you pick up a thumbnail next to the cursor but there is no effect on the browser window itself.

This has a really annoying side effect--if the drag fails or OW window loses focus, the highlighting blocks any further clicks in OW until you explicitly click inside the browser window somewhere outside the highlight bounds, which can extend past the image bounds to the right in some cases. If the highlighted area fills the screen, you may have to scroll the window to find a clickable location before you have control of the browser again. This is distinct from returning focus to the OW window if necessary. You can't click a link and you can't switch tabs until you do this. The click has to land somewhere in empty space on the page.

Point 2. I'd have never guessed this was a link, as that message subject is not self-evident as a thread title or even a valid link. After reading the description of the bug, it is evident to me that the author is talking about an unrelated bug/feature.

Last edited by technomage; 2006-05-20 at 08:05 AM..