The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Varying "Duplicate Canvas" behaviors. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So there seem to be two ways to duplicate a canvas:

Select a canvas in the Canvases list > Use the "Duplicate" keyboard shortcut (Command+D)

or

Right-click on a canvas in the Canvases list > Select "Duplicate Canvas" from context menu

While the first option will place the duplicate canvas at the end of the Canvases list, the second option will place it right beneath the original canvas.

Yeah, that's my inner UI designer nitpicking, but shouldn't this behave the same way?

Would you not think that there are those that might find having both those options available a positive point, rather than reducing them to a single behaviour?

Yeah.

I am not saying that it is, or is not, a bug. It appears you understand that the Context Menu is contextual. So it depends on what your context is; what the target would be, for the Duplicate (or paste or whatever). Granted, the distinction between the contextual and the non-contextual, in this instance, may be a fine hair to split, and so they make look the same, but hey, I'll give the Engineer who coded that a nod, for being consistent with holding the context.

I do not see how it is you "inner UI".

The app is one of the most Intuitive I have ever worked with (and I have worked with more than I care to remember).

We do have an open bug on this in our tracker. I’ve added your report to it. Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

Since our forums are primarily for user-to-user discussion and we can't guarantee we're catching everything here, it's generally a better bet to email us at OmniGraffle -at- omnigroup.com so you can ensure this gets reported.

Thanks!

First off, egg on my face.
I failed to see the option under Edit > Canvases > Duplicate Canvas. This, of course, behaves exatly like "Duplicate Canvas" from the context menu. But it doesn't feature a keyboard shortcut. Therefore I still believe, that two commands which invoke the same action (duplicating the canvas) should do this in identical fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
Would you not think that there are those that might find having both those options available a positive point, rather than reducing them to a single behaviour?
I see your point, but no. If "duplicate at end of list" and "duplicate below current canvas" where to be two supported actions, they'd be reachable through two context-menu items AND/OR two keyboard shortcuts, but not split over different input devices.
Then again, I'm a believer in "less is more" and just sticking to one behavior would do the trick. Because what's not there, can not be missed. And yes, I'm very aware that the one half of OmniGraffle users, whose preferred method would be dropped, would heavily disagree with me. ;-). If I'd have to choose, i'd keep "duplicate below current canvas". Especially, because creating a new canvas (a very similar action) will always place the new canvas right under the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAsirvadem View Post
The app is one of the most Intuitive I have ever worked with .
True. It'a an awesome piece of software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.
Again, this is nitpicking on my behalf.
Thank you for this great tool.