The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Password protection Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be great to have some kind of password protection with encryption for this application. All that exists now is at the user account level, which does not seem adequate. You can log out or lock the screen; but not only is that tedious, but also does not prevent users with administrative privileges from accessing the data (unless you turn on FileVault, which has its own problems).

In lieu of software password and encryption, I think you should be able to put your database file on an encrypted disk image. If you haven't done this, the process is: go to Disk Utility, create a new image, choose encryption and a password. Then drag your omnifocus database file into it. When you want to open omnifocus, double-click on this database file instead of the application icon.

OmniFocus wants your data to be in the Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder, so this method isn't officially supported. You may run into problems, so make sure to keep it well backed up. Also, make sure that your backups are being saved to the encrypted volume rather than to your documents folder.

By the way, what problems are you encountering with filevault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh19 View Post
In lieu of software password and encryption, I think you should be able to put your database file on an encrypted disk image. If you haven't done this, the process is: go to Disk Utility, create a new image, choose encryption and a password. Then drag your omnifocus database file into it. When you want to open omnifocus, double-click on this database file instead of the application icon.
I have tryed your suggest and all seems to work perfectly except that it was impossible to synk with MobileMe account or WebDAv. If i Try to change the settings for the sincronization the field to use to tell to the program the address of the remote server is grey and non editable.
I think maybe we have to look for third part programs to make our database secure.
Any other suggest about crypting the omnifocus database?
Paolo Savio

We've got a feature request open on this - interested parties should use the Send Feedback item under the help menu to email the support ninjas. We'll attach your votes to the appropriate item in the development database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh19 View Post
By the way, what problems are you encountering with filevault?
FileVault stores all your data in a single encrypted image. If this one file gets corrupted, you stand to lose everything. Also, the UNIX-based backup software I've been using cannot see the content of FileVault, only the archive itself. So every backup simply copies the entire disk image, which is the whole contents of the home folder. Obviously this uses up backup storage pretty quickly, and makes for very time-consuming backups! I haven't tried this again under Leopard, or using other software. Also, I have no way to test this, but I'm concerned about the ability of other UNIX applications to work correctly with contents of the home folder when using FileVault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprewitt View Post
FileVault stores all your data in a single encrypted image. If this one file gets corrupted, you stand to lose everything.
If you're running Leopard, FileVault now uses a sparse bundle disk image to store your user account. This is a new Time Machine-compatible format that breaks up the disk image into multiple files called "bands", each of approximately 8 MB in size. The bands are stored in a bundle (really a folder) that looks like a regular disk image file. When you double-click the bundle, the bands are reassembled to appear as a regular disk image volume in the Finder.

Of course, corruption is still a risk. I imagine if one of those bands gets damaged, the entire sparse bundle disk image would no longer mount. But I do know from personal experience that you can replace individual bands from a backup if the contents of the sparse bundle disk image haven't changed. You can also use it to do large uploads a little bit at a time (i.e. uploading a whole bunch of 8MB files is easier to stop and resume than one huge, monolithic, 8GB file).

Of course, the sparse bundle disk image format also makes backups of large disk images much easier because only changed bands need to be copied. And since bundles are typically seen as simple directories by Unix utilities, it should work with most Unix-based backup applications.

-Dennis

PS - I'm not necessarily promoting the use of FileVault. I don't personally use it. I prefer to keep all my sensitive data on a separate encrypted sparse bundle disk image and only mount it as necessary.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-10-31 at 09:02 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprewitt View Post
It would be great to have some kind of password protection with encryption for this application.
Please add a vote for this feature, especially with respect to the iPhone/iPad application.