The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iphone feature request / suggenstions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjordao View Post
As a related request, I'd like to see an option to select a day without a time, for something that has to get done anytime that day. I've been picking noon as a default, but prefer to have them as "all day" actions.
I second this request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirk View Post
I second this request.
The desktop application defaults to 12:00 am, so the action is available as soon as the specified date rolls around. You can pick a different time, of course.

Brian - Thanx!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbebop View Post
instead of eliminating time from actions, OF should be changed so that time is less granular. how about 15 minute increments? also OF should automatically assume that due dates are in the future, not. right. now.
If someone needs time, then it should be adjustable in fine increments, as who's to say 15 mins is close enough (it wouldn't be for me IF I was to use times). An option to adjust the increments would be the only way to satisfy everyone, but too many options is a bad thing, especially on the iPhone.

The option does need to be there to either use time or not, as even 30 minute increments are a pain if you don't want times at all. Inheriting a setting from the desktop would be fine for me, but not for those who don't sync.

I agree completely that it should be impossible to set a due date in the past, or earlier than the start date, as now.

Umm, easy suggestion - why not be less greedy and drop the rapacious price. Look at 1Password developers - an application that actually works and is truly critical and they are giving away their iPhone app. Not only have I bought their software myself but getting my friends to buy it too.

I think it probably helps that they are business savvy and know they will get a lot of buyers of their desktop app.

Some suggestions:

iDisk syncing sometimes does not ask for the password - this seems to be hit and miss and on the misses it is impossible to sync because it will throw you the permission error - because you did not enter a password.

Perspectives - the sooner this comes to the iPhone the better! You could add in the preference a perspective preference to enable or disable certain ones from the main screen and then also have a folder Perspectives that you could have all of them located there.

When perspectives get added perhaps add the option to disable due soon and the other ones so we have complete control over what is on the main screen based on our usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
If someone needs time, then it should be adjustable in fine increments, as who's to say 15 mins is close enough (it wouldn't be for me IF I was to use times). An option to adjust the increments would be the only way to satisfy everyone, but too many options is a bad thing, especially on the iPhone.

The option does need to be there to either use time or not, as even 30 minute increments are a pain if you don't want times at all. Inheriting a setting from the desktop would be fine for me, but not for those who don't sync.

I agree completely that it should be impossible to set a due date in the past, or earlier than the start date, as now.
I'd like to understand why someone would need to use such a granular level of time for when an action is due in a GTD system. Right now, in OF, the only thing it triggers is when an action is due soon or past due. On the desktop app, you get a momentary growl notification. I don't sync with iCal, but maybe the time in those actions triggers an alarm?

OTOH, the iPhone app should be able to trigger an alarm to notify you that something's to be done now or in X minutes. Then having such a granular level of time might make some sense.

My desire for less granular time has to do with how long it takes me to set the time, and having to do that for each action. The idea should be to make it as easy as possible to enter actions while out on the run.

What are some other ideas for making the iPhone app more useful given the different contexts in which it is used?

First, thanks for a great portable version of OF. I really enjoy using OF on the iPhone, especially the location based contexts.

I n:th the suggestion to make time on the due page optional. Or even removing it completely. I rarely have a set time to complete a task, and so it feels very arbitrary to have to input a time every time I add a task to the inbox.

Also, is there a way to add a text note to a task. Right now I only seem to be able to add photos and recordings. Being able to add notes to tasks is an absolute must for me, and I really miss this functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbebop View Post
I'd like to understand why someone would need to use such a granular level of time for when an action is due in a GTD system. Right now, in OF, the only thing it triggers is when an action is due soon or past due. On the desktop app, you get a momentary growl notification. I don't sync with iCal, but maybe the time in those actions triggers an alarm?
Well, I guess it is arguable whether or not 1 minute increments are necessary, but for me 5 minutes are. I don't mean they are in OF, because I think OF is the wrong place to schedule tasks that finely, but they are if I'm setting a schedule for myself. 15 minutes is far far too long to allow myself for replying to many of the e-mails I get, for example, and I'd end up procrastinating.

Expanding on "I think OF is the wrong place to schedule tasks that finely", I personally think that if you're actually sitting down to prepare yourself a plan for the days work, which many time management schemes recommend as a way to avoid procrastination (don't know about GTD as I never finished the book!:eek:), you should do it in a diary so you can see the plan laid out in front of you. In Outlook I used to drag tasks to time slots on the day view, and it really worked to get me working hard.

So I think times are a very specific tool that doesn't fit with the way I use OF. You could argue that if you are going to schedule start and due dates, then why not schedule start and due times as well (after all, what's the difference other than accuracy?), but it just doesn't work in practice for me. I only know what time I'll work on something the day I'm going to do it, whereas I know what date I've got to get it done by well in advance.

Yes if something has an actual deadline of 10am on a given day, OF should be able to reflect that, but I'd expect that to be the exception rather than the rule.

Now, if OF had a graphical "today's schedule" view, the argument would turn around completely for me.

Plus I don't think we should get too hung up on OF being a strict GTD app. One of its strengths is that it can be tweaked to fit lots of time management techniques.

Quote:
OTOH, the iPhone app should be able to trigger an alarm to notify you that something's to be done now or in X minutes. Then having such a granular level of time might make some sense.
I think then you'd want granular times for alarms, but not necessarily for due/start dates. You might, but not necessarily.

Quote:
My desire for less granular time has to do with how long it takes me to set the time, and having to do that for each action. The idea should be to make it as easy as possible to enter actions while out on the run.
Yep me too - so I'd turn times off altogether. But if ever I turned them on again, or better still need to turn them on for a specific task, I'll want at least 5 minute granularity.

Quote:
What are some other ideas for making the iPhone app more useful given the different contexts in which it is used?
- Tap-able links (phone numbers etc) in descriptions/notes. This is a perfect example of a feature that's great on the iPhone, but probably less useful on the desktop.

- Voice notes directly into the inbox (pick up iPhone > press a button > say "call John" > done - it's in the inbox.

- Templates, such as "Quote for......." that set the context and/or project and other items to a predefined value. See Pocket Informant for a near perfect app that uses these.

- Ability to add e-mails from Mail directly into the inbox. Yes I know, technically unlikely.

I could go on............. ;)

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-07-25 at 10:47 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirou View Post
Also, is there a way to add a text note to a task. Right now I only seem to be able to add photos and recordings. Being able to add notes to tasks is an absolute must for me, and I really miss this functionality.
Tap the arrow to the right of the title field.

HTH

Mark