The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

email capabilities vs. nearby function Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So after much debate, I decided to use OF as my primary GTD app on my iPhone (and as my standalone app, since I cant use OF on my PC at work). My main issue with OF for iPhone it was that there was no email capabilities to create tasks from email. However, I did like the nearby function and context layouts, and it's project management capabilities.

I decided to use OF as my personal GTD app, and just used another system for work, that I was able to create tasks from email (which also has an app for iphone as well). Since this other app lacked a nearby function, i figured it would work better since almost all of my tasks were completed at work.

After a couple of weeks though, i realized I was using OF less and less and , and primarily using the other app to manage my personal tasks in addition to work tasks. I realized the nearby function wasnt as much a blessing as I hoped. Since I usually end up prioritizing by task, rather than location and just group tasks when I am in a particular location anyway.

Am I wrong? Should i not have had 2 GTDs systems to begin with? Though isnt ideal to have just one that integrates work/personal tasks? I do not see myself going back to OF until they have email capabilities.

I'm kind of puzzled, because OmniFocus does have the ability to automatically create new tasks from email. Search for "email" in OmniFocus' help menu to get a detailed explanation of how this works.

From what I understand this is only a possibility with OF for the Mac Desktop - which wont help me because I use a pc for work, mac desktop at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I'm kind of puzzled, because OmniFocus does have the ability to automatically create new tasks from email. Search for "email" in OmniFocus' help menu to get a detailed explanation of how this works.

Do you mean you want OF for the iPhone to create tasks from email messages? Which application on the iPhone are you using that CAN do this??

W/ RtM you can create tasks from email by forwarding the email to your inbox email address that is assigned to your account. Also you can create it by tagging emails on your mail.app form which will drop them into your inbox w/ Gmails RTM plug-in. It's as close as i can think of being seamless, and actually not as much a hassle as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangoldman View Post
Do you mean you want OF for the iPhone to create tasks from email messages? Which application on the iPhone are you using that CAN do this??

Oh. Right. Sorry for derailing the conversation away from your original questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdesouza View Post
Am I wrong? Should i not have had 2 GTDs systems to begin with? Though isnt ideal to have just one that integrates work/personal tasks? I do not see myself going back to OF until they have email capabilities.
I agree that maintaining two GTD systems is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I encourage you to send an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com detailing the email features you'd need to come back to OmniFocus.

I want to be able to create an email from an Action. In that way, i can email the action to somebody to remind them to do it. I can do this in an applescript on the mac, but can't on the iPhone.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
I want to be able to create an email from an Action. In that way, i can email the action to somebody to remind them to do it. I can do this in an applescript on the mac, but can't on the iPhone.

J
feature request logged.

The bulk of my tasks are created from emails I receive.

If I cant easily create OF tasks on the iPhone from emails I receive, that's going to be a real drag....

Hopefully the new API hooks in OS 3.0 will allow this.

Please have this functionality ready for the launch of iPhone 3.0 !!! :eek:

It will end a 2 year quest for my dream 'office in my back pocket" system.

Last edited by Casper TFG; 2009-04-20 at 03:19 AM..