The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can I secure my OmniFocus data? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by enentrup View Post
I'm NOT asking for HOW to hack into my employer's network. I'm asking for a KILL SWITCH so that I can UNLINK the computer I no longer have access to.
There is no kill switch in OmniFocus; storing your data on an encrypted disk image is your best bet. You can either do this by turning on FileVault for your account (as others have suggested), or by creating an encrypted disk image and putting your data there. (If you need assistance relocating your database to an encrypted disk image, our OmniFocus support ninjas can help.)

Ken...

Thanks for your response about the encrypted disk image. Can that be done in conjunction with Dropbox?

I don't have any direct experience with Dropbox, but disk images are a pretty standard file type on OS X. I'd be surprised if they couldn't handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzziah View Post
Thanks for your response about the encrypted disk image. Can that be done in conjunction with Dropbox?
I'm not sure I understand… What exactly are you doing with Dropbox? (If you're using it to sync your OmniFocus database, that might confuse the built-in sync capabilities of OmniFocus itself.)

@Ken...

I use Dropbox for other files I want synched (it replaced my iDisk usage and therefore .Mac/MobileMe subscription).

But instead of storing files just inside of the default Dropbox folder, I use encrypted disk images at the toplevel of Dropbox. So, I feel secure with regards to those files.

I was curious if I could move my OmniFocus database to Dropbox. But it sounds like that wouldn't work.

Can I ask for instructions for setting up my OmniFocus database in an encrypted disk image (wherever you suggest I do it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzziah View Post
I'm guessing I'm not the only one concerned about this. It would give me some peace of mind to know that I'm not leaving my OmniFocus database there for someone else to find after I had left the company.

Especially the projects entitled "JOB HUNT," "HOW NOT TO RUN A COMPANY" and more.

Thoughts?
It doesn't make sense to have "Remote Zap" functionality unique to OmniFocus. Because, at that point, you'd need the same functionality for _every_ application that you could put data in, if you raised the same concerns (Word, Excel, Pages, Numbers, etc.).

If the concern is data security, you should use encryption software. Mac OS X has Filevault built in. At that point, if you lose access to the machine, so long as nobody has your password, they can't get to your data. Note, if you leave on bad terms (i.e. you're fired) then you can get away with this -- if they ask for your password you can refuse to provide it, but rarely do people who get caught in these types of situations move onward and upward in the business world.

In the case of an amicable departure, it sure is a good idea to delete/remove _all_ personal data from the machine before you give notice.

But in general, this is not an Omni problem to solve. There are tools like Filevault (or Encrypted Disk Images, which is the OS X technology on which Filevault is built) which will do a great job here. It's a good idea to use Filevault on _any_ portable machines that contain sensitive data, and then to require a password to unlock the machine from sleep or screen saver. That way, your data is pretty much completely safe if a laptop is lost, stolen, or "repoed" by an employer who fires you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
There is no kill switch in OmniFocus; storing your data on an encrypted disk image is your best bet. You can either do this by turning on FileVault for your account (as others have suggested), or by creating an encrypted disk image and putting your data there. (If you need assistance relocating your database to an encrypted disk image, our OmniFocus support ninjas can help.)
Ken,

I know that as of OF 1.1, that the OF data file must live in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus.

Is it possible to actually put the data file in a mounted disk image, and then symlink from the standard location to the disk image? I can think of many ways this would be fragile and a bad idea, but I'm curious. Still, I'd recommend Filevault instead as it would work here in a supported way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Is it possible to actually put the data file in a mounted disk image, and then symlink from the standard location to the disk image?
Yes, it is. (You'll need to make sure the disk image is mounted before you start OmniFocus: because it's a symlink and not an alias, it won't mount automatically when referenced.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Yes, it is. (You'll need to make sure the disk image is mounted before you start OmniFocus: because it's a symlink and not an alias, it won't mount automatically when referenced.)
Wouldn't one also want to arrange for the contents of ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus to be securely stored?

Yes, I believe you'd also want to move/symlink that directory as well.

(also, renaming thread to reflect new goal.)