The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Set a "Weekly Review" Day of Week? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like to do my "Weekly Reviews" on Friday. Is there any way I can force OmniFocus to default a weekly review on Fridays instead of day count? Sometimes I miss my Friday reviews and have to do Saturday morning, but the next week I'd like to get back on track with Fridays, but it won't show me anything to review until Saturday. Make sense?

Thanks!
Rob

Select all of your projects. Bring up the inspector. Set the Next Review date for the whole bunch to a date of your choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Select all of your projects. Bring up the inspector. Set the Next Review date for the whole bunch to a date of your choosing.
This is only reasonable if review is being performed on the Mac. If working on OF4iPad it's not an option. For example, my review day is Sunday and if in week 1 I miss Sunday and instead review on Monday, when I'm sitting down to review the following Sunday for Week 2, in OF4iPad there won't be anything to review b/c now the review day has been switched to Monday.

For certain I could reset the review dates on my Mac, but I have to remember to do this (probably via another OF activity) whereas being able to lock weekly reviews to a particular day of the week would put all this on auto-pilot.

Count me as wanting this in a future release as well.

Kindly,

James

The solution I saw on another thread a while ago was to set your review interval for less than a week. For example, if your interval was every 5 days on all the projects you want to review weekly then if you were a day or two late one week they would still be due for review by Friday the following week when you sat down to do your weekly review. This assumes that you only review once a week and not every day like some do. Personally I'm still torn between reviewing a small number of projects daily as they come due versus the whole lot of them weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitetoo View Post
This is only reasonable if review is being performed on the Mac.
The original question was posted in the OmniFocus for Mac forum, was it not? :-)
Quote:
For example, my review day is Sunday and if in week 1 I miss Sunday and instead review on Monday, when I'm sitting down to review the following Sunday for Week 2, in OF4iPad there won't be anything to review b/c now the review day has been switched to Monday.

For certain I could reset the review dates on my Mac, but I have to remember to do this (probably via another OF activity) whereas being able to lock weekly reviews to a particular day of the week would put all this on auto-pilot.
As much as I love the iPad version of OmniFocus, it is very weak in the area of simultaneously performing the same operation on multiple items. This would be such an example. It also lacks the ability to set the next review date for a single project to an arbitrary value, so you're really up the proverbial creek without a paddle if you don't have a Mac or some decent skills editing XML files.

If you have a lot of projects, however, I don't think the "review everything on Friday" model scales very well, and it also throws away the power of OmniFocus' variable review feature. OmniFocus will let you specify individual review intervales for each project, so that projects needing more supervision (or less) can have a review cycle tailored to match. Instead of the massive review of all the projects at once, you can have a steady review workload each day where some of your projects get reviewed, a much smaller time commitment to carve out on any given day, and probably fresher eyes if you aren't slogging through every project every time you do a review. It also frees you from the worry of missing the big review day—there's relatively little disruption if you don't get to do the review that day, or only do part of the day's review. Do a forum search for "prime number review" for a fuller description of the idea.

Quote:

Count me as wanting this in a future release as well.
The way to get counted is not by posting here, but by using Send Feedback or Contact Omni in the app to send in your feature/change requests.