The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help... Sequential/Parallel issue Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I create a project "Project One".

I choose "sequential".

I add tasks in the following order: a, b, c

The problem: Task "a" has no identifiable color code indicating that it is the current task in the sequence (according to a tutorial video, it should be blue, while the rest of the tasks remain gray). Worse, when I choose "Next Actions" from View, all the tasks disappear.

I can not figure out why I'm unable to get sequential tasks working properly.

Help?

Have you assigned contexts to the actions?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Have you assigned contexts to the actions?
Ah, so that's the rub. You see, the only Context I use is "waiting for", I don't use "office", "computer", etc. So I'm assuming that I will not be able to take advantage of sequential tasks without using contexts, huh? C'est la vie.

In general, OF expects every task to have a context. Tasks without contexts are consider not fully processed and aren't listed as "available". There are several threads on the forums discussing this, that you may find useful. The general consensus is that trying to use OF without contexts isn't practical.

That said, you can assign a default context to a project and all new actions of the project will inherit the default context.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
In general, OF expects every task to have a context.
Ugh. So that's why some folks are running over to Things and The Hit List (which I left to come here).

Since I use a hybrid GTD/Covey setup, I'll have to live without some of the OF functionality for the time being.

Keeping my eye on The Hit List to see how that develops.

Thanks for responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrum68 View Post
Ugh. So that's why some folks are running over to Things and The Hit List (which I left to come here)... <snip>
Please note, however, that Things doesn't permit a distinction between 'parallel' and 'sequential' tasks; not sure about The Hit List.

Last edited by sfkeydel; 2009-01-19 at 07:39 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkeydel View Post
Please note, however, that Things doesn't permit a distinction between 'parallel' and 'sequential' tasks; not sure about The Hit List.
After playing with OF for the past few hours, it's clear my stay will be brief. OF is too oriented towards GTD to be of use to me in the long run. For now... it's stable, and working.

However, when The Hit List evolves out of Beta, I'll be back!

Quote:
Ugh. So that's why some folks are running over to Things and The Hit List (which I left to come here).

I guess that's why some people resist contexts and thus resist using OmniFocus (and choose either Hit List or Things). They're not comfortable with the GTD idea of contexts yet.

Using contexts allows you to group similar tasks together for batch processing. It's much easier to finish similar tasks in a batch process when you have a context list showing items that can be done at one time.

Contexts are things that can be done like:

1. when you have access to a telephone, you can make phone calls. (Context = phone)

2. when you have wifi access, you can access the internet to do some research tasks (Context = computer with online access).

3. when you have your e-mail program open, you can process your inbox items or send e-mail out. (Context = computer with e-mail program)

4. when you are at your hardware store, there are a list of items to purchase (Context = hardware store)

5. when you are at home, there are tasks and projects that can only be done at the house. (Context = home)

I love contexts - the ability to view all your tasks/projects in certain contexts - things that can be done only in the house; things that can be done only when you're at your computer; things that can only be done when you're at a client's office, etc.

The folks that don't like or want to use contexts will feel more comfortable with Hit List and Things because those two programs don't really impress the use of contexts on to people. But they can "tagged" with contexts.

When I was introduced to the idea of contexts via GTD, it helped me to batch similar tasks together. All my phone tasks are done in one batch. All of my office routines are done in one batch.

It seems that people who are comfortable with GTD and contexts will choose OmniFocus over the Hit List or Things.

But there is no right or wrong way..... Use what you have, adapt GTD to fit your style (whether you use contexts or not). As long as you can get things done, that's the main point....

Last edited by wilsonng; 2009-01-19 at 08:14 PM..

Quote:
Ah, so that's the rub. You see, the only Context I use is "waiting for", I don't use "office", "computer", etc. So I'm assuming that I will not be able to take advantage of sequential tasks without using contexts, huh? C'est la vie.
We're planning to make contexts optional in the next update (OmniFocus v1.6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We're planning to make contexts optional in the next update (OmniFocus v1.6).
Cool. So let's see a sneakypeek :-)