The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sequential vs. Parallel Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Suppose I have the following list of actions:

1A.
1B.
1C.

4A.
4B.

Now, in OmniOutliner, I could easily have had an outline consisting of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 1 and 4 having children underneath it for A, B, C, D, etc. Let's say that actions 1, 2, 3, 4 are independent of each other (ie - Parallel) and don't rely upon anything else to get done. However, while 2 and 3 can be done completely independently, 1 and 4 rely on their child actions in order to get done. So while the 4, 4A, and 4B can be done independently of actions 1-3, they cannot be done independently of each other (ie - 4A and 4B must be completed before 4 can be completed).

There is no easy way to manage this in OF. Each project, at a project level, is either sequential or parallel. I wish there was a structure that allowed you to have sequential or parallel structures within a single project... (instead of creating separate projects for everything).

Please advise...

I'm not sure if I'm understanding properly; it sounds to me like you can get what you want by making your project parallel, and your 1 and 4 groups sequential. Each group has its own independent setting for whether it's sequential or parallel, so you should be able to set this up quite easily.

Does that do what you want? If not, what did I misunderstand?

That solved it! I wasn't aware of Action Groups until I went into the manual and read about them again. Thanks!