The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeat problem: third Friday, last Monday of month Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know this problem has been discussed before, but I can't find a thread with an adequate solution or workaround.

I have many tasks that should be done on a specific day of the month, meaning on the third Friday, or on the last Monday of the month. A repeat every 4 weeks won't do, nor will every 30 days.

I understand that the Omni people have chosen to leave such fancy scheduling to iCal, but in accordance with what I read in David Allen's GTD book, I only put real "hardlandscape" items on the calendar. These tasks are to be done on the specified day, but nothing will happen if I postpone the action or skip it altogether for that iteration.

The only way I found to do this is to set the task to not repeat and not check it off when I do it but reschedule it manually. Not very elegant!

Please point me to a better solution, if one has been suggested.

Thanks,

EllenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenH View Post
I understand that the Omni people have chosen to leave such fancy scheduling to iCal, but in accordance with what I read in David Allen's GTD book, I only put real "hardlandscape" items on the calendar. These tasks are to be done on the specified day, but nothing will happen if I postpone the action or skip it altogether for that iteration.
I don't think it's correct to say that they are leaving that to iCal. They just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm afraid I don't have a work-around to suggeest. But I would strongly encourage you to use Help --> Send Feedback to add your vote for this feature request. That feedback helps Omni prioritize development.

Curt

Most of my list is like that. I'm an accountant and my list is more like checklists than GTD. Do this routine on the first workday, that one by the 25th of the month, etc. I just have things repeat monthly, and change the start or due date accordingly. A minor nuisance, but it works.

The problem with the method I describe above is that I'll most likely check the action as completed (as I do with all the others) and then forget that I'm supposed to reschedule the action manually. So it will just disappear and I won't see it again, unless I get reminded some way, maybe at review time.

Betsy's suggestion to set the repeat monthly and fix the start or due day later seems more robust. I'll try it.

Thanks,

EllenH