The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open URL and Search in Google contextual menu items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think OmniWeb needs Open URL and Search in Google contextual menu items, like Safari has, too. Sometimes, in a newspaper article, read online, a web address is given as text, not as a clickable link. And sometimes the user wants to look up a word.

I'm pretty sure there has been discussion on this elsewhere in the forum. I know that's at least the case with the dictionary bit. command+control+d works.

I can't live without SafariStand's contextual menu search. It let's you search for highlighted text with any search shortcut in a background tab.

I just found OnMyCommand (contextual menu plugin), which I used to add this function to OmniWeb.
Here's what I added to the OnMyCommand prefs so I could search google for highlighted text (assumes omniweb is default browser).

Code:
<key>COMMAND_LIST</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>ACTIVATION_MODE</key>
			<string>act_selected_or_clipboard_text</string>
			<key>COMMAND</key>
			<array>
				<string>open "http://www.google.com/search?q=</string>
				<string>__OBJ_TEXT__</string>
				<string>"</string>
			</array>
			<key>ESCAPE_SPECIAL_CHARS</key>
			<string>esc_with_percent</string>
			<key>EXECUTION_MODE</key>
			<string>exe_silent_popen</string>
			<key>NAME</key>
			<string>Google</string>
			<key>SUBMENU_NAME</key>
			<string>..</string>	
		</dict>
	</array>
The advantage of this over an in-browser method is that you can search from pretty much any app that lets you highlight text. Only thing that bugs me is searches appear in foreground rather than background tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramNetherlands
I think OmniWeb needs Open URL and Search in Google contextual menu items, like Safari has, too. Sometimes, in a newspaper article, read online, a web address is given as text, not as a clickable link. And sometimes the user wants to look up a word.
OmniWeb does have an open URL service that you can use. By default it's bound to Command-U since all browsers have this same service and bind it to the same shortcut it often gets stolen by another application.

You can rebind it via the Keyboard and Mouse System Preference pane to a new shortcut though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramNetherlands
Also missing: 'Look up in Dictionary'.
Highlight the word. Cmd-ctrl-D.