The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniDictionary
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniDictionary Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi.

I've been unable to connect to server for a month. Using latest version Snow Leopard. Nor at home or at work. I get the message "Unable to connect to server at dict.org. The server did not respond."

Browser works. I am connected to the Internet. I have a MacBook Pro and iMac. Same problem on both. Real shame because OmniDictionary would have to be the primo resource in dictionaries and thesauruses.

Can anyone suggest anything.

Reconfigure OmniDictionary to play with a server that is working. http://www.dict.org/links.html has a list, all.dict.org worked for me when I tried it just now.

It looks like the dict.org front page (but not other pages on the site) and the DICT server that OmniDictionary talks to both were offline for a few days, but are back up and running now.

When/if their server does go down, an email to webmaster@dict.org and/or switching to another server would be the best course of action. If you let us know the server is down, we can email them, of course. :-)

I've tried all of the 'dict.org' list of servers and none respond (eg dict.org, dict.us.dict.org, dict0.us.dict.org, etc.). Did they change the port # or am I doing something wrong?

Dict.org was down for several days, then back, but now seems to be down again. Maybe they are having hardware or software problems, or maybe they are suffering a denial-of-service attack, or something else. We don't have any further information, I'm afraid. But it doesn't appear to be something you're doing wrong, derev.

Try "miranda.org" in the preferences pane. I tried it after going to dict.org and clicking on the "server information link" and saw,

dictd 1.9.15/rf on Linux 2.6.30-bpo.1-686
On miranda.org: up 13+03:29:02, 3343082 forks (10596.7/hour)

and tried "miranda/org" and voilla! It not only works, but the dictionary choice list expands well beyond the wordnet default. Check out the pull down menu and you'll see several foreign language dictionaries in addition to the previous OmniDictionary list.

LOVE THAT SOAP!!!

dict.org and the backups have been down a few days again.