The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Attaching links to files in a task note Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I seem to be having difficulty with something I'm assuming should be much easier. I have a .mov file and a .xls file I want to reference (link to) in the notes field of a task. When I drag either of these files or an alias to the notes field, it copies the preview of the entire file rather than adding a link to the file.

How do I just add a link to the file, so that when I click on it it will open the intended file?

Hold down the control key while dragging.

Curt

Hi Curt...I was excited to get such an easy answer. However, when I control click on a file, it opens the same contextual menu as when I right-click on it. I'm unable to drag it at all.

Cheers

Click and begin the drag like normal. Then hold down the control key. A little loopy arrow will be added to the cursor signifying that you're creating a link.

This is a common Mac OS drag technique. Different modifiers change the "drop" in different ways. For example, option typically means "create a copy". You can use this in most text editing applications. Select some text. Click and hold on it for a half second to begin a drag. Drag a bit, then hold down the option key before releasing. A copy of the dragged text will be created when you release the mouse button.

Curt

Curt is correct on the keystroke behaviors for dragging files, but I'm curious exactly what you are seeing when you drag a file into the note field? The default behavior in OmniFocus when dragging a file into the note field is to create a link to the file on disk. It's possible to also embed a file into the OF document, but linked files and embedded files look exactly the same in the note field of OmniFocus desktop. A double-click will open the document in its native application and a right-click or the space bar will give a Quick Look of the file. Can you describe, or attach a screen dump, of what you are seeing in the note field when a document is attached?

@Curt...I don't have any change in my cursor (or the addition of "a little loopy arrow") on performing this. Are there system settings I could have changed? If so, I couldn't find them in my System Preferences.

@Greg...I'm embarrassed to say I tried to attach some screenshots...but don't know how to determine the URL of the file on my desktop. I have to admit that I haven't had to know this sort of thing since quitting Windows years ago.