The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Location always on? [Location reminders run in low-power mode.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In case it helps: a post from an engineer on the OmniFocus for iPhone team about the power requirements for our location reminders.

The purple indicator does appear due to our use of significant location change monitoring. However, that service, as designed by Apple, has low power requirements.

I'm sorry but I'm definetely unsatisfied with the power consumption. Today I enabled location in OF again, opened Safari and noticed that location arrow is always on and battery is decreased about every minute. I turned it off again.
I do believe you guys definitely should do something with it.

Again, what are you using for iPhone hardware and iOS version?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, OF 1.14.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The purple indicator does appear due to our use of significant location change monitoring. However, that service, as designed by Apple, has low power requirements.
I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 and am running OmniFocus for iPhone 1.14.2. When I activate Location Services for OmniFocus for iPhone in Settings, a solid arrow appears and the battery drains by approximately 1% every 3-5minutes when the device is "asleep" on my desk and 1% every minute when it is awake on my desk. I have 3/5 AT&T Service bars with 3G activated.

I'm hitting the sam location & geofencing issues with v1.14.2 and it's a bit of a shame as i can see the function being really useful. There's not much point, however, if the phone battery won't even last the working day!

Please find a solution soon...

Thus far, folks mentioning their hardware when posting in this thread have all had the older iPhone 4 model; I'm also running on that generation of hardware.

As the batteries in those phones age, chemical changes mean that they will hold less charge than they used to. I'm observing this in my own iPhone 4, purchased when the model first launched. As an example, if I'm going to get driving directions from the phone at this point, I pretty much have to do so while it's plugged into the charger in my car, which wasn't previously the case.

Regardless of the use of Location Reminders in OmniFocus, my battery is more run down at the end of the day than it used to be. I suspect battery age is a factor in what folks are reporting here, and I'm sympathetic to the folks that want to use location reminders but can't tolerate the power drain.

However, we've verified that the feature is using low-power APIs provided, designed, and coded by Apple. The feature can be enabled or disabled, but we have no further control over the amount of power the API uses.

just to clarify, my problem is with an iPhone 4S that is approx 6 weeks old so no decaying battery life there. I've switched the location services off for now and will try it on future releases of both iOS and OmniFocus to see if the situation improves.