The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is it possible to lock the right edge of an object? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to align an object by its right edge so that as the text is added, the right edge stays put and the left edge moves. As I only want the bottom border to be as wide as the text (i.e. I need to use the "resize to fit" setting), this has proven tricky.

I've tried adjusting numerous settings including
  • alignment
  • anchor point, and
  • flip left/right,

but can't seem to get it working or find any reference to doing such a thing in the documentation or in this forum. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Use the Text Tool, then in the Style: Text Inspector make sure that the text is right aligned and the shape is set to "Resize to Fit" in the second row of buttons.

Hope that helps,

I've had those settings on and it's still not working. Perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly, so here's a view of the layout I'm trying to achieve:

The text itself is right-aligned and the box is set to grow with it, but the issue is that the right side is the side that's moving no matter what. I think it's because the object's alignment is locked on the left side (because all positioning is in relation to the top left corner).

I want the right edge to remain locked on the line below it's right edge and for the text to flow right as the page numbers increase. Make sense?

Well, if it's not a line label you can drag it onto the line to convert to be one, then in the Geometry Inspector position it to the end and offset it a little, that should get you where you want to be.

You also might want to try making the text box longer on the left, so the text has somewhere to grow into. I've tried to show in the attached skitch capture what I am talking about -- notice that the blue box (the object's bounding box) for the lower object is longer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	550  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Well, if it's not a line label you can drag it onto the line to convert to be one, then in the Geometry Inspector position it to the end and offset it a little, that should get you where you want to be.
That's a good idea, but didn't seem to work. The Label offset seems to want to align the middle of the text to the right edge of the line instead of the right edge to the right edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceless
You also might want to try making the text box longer on the left, so the text has somewhere to grow into.
Unfortunately, I want the thicker line to only be as long as the text without having to adjust it each time (since the text area is dynamic).