The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCal syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to get iCal todo's [the Reminders] to sync with a context called REMINDERS that I have created in Omnifocus.

When I go to preferences my Calendars do not appear.Only (unsynchronised) appears.

How do I sync with iCal reminders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb123 View Post
I am trying to get iCal todo's [the Reminders] to sync with a context called REMINDERS that I have created in Omnifocus.

When I go to preferences my Calendars do not appear.Only (unsynchronised) appears.

How do I sync with iCal reminders?
I'm having the same issues. I contacted the support ninja's and so far they haven't been able to solve my issue. I'm still waiting for another reply. Hope they can figure it out soon.
Ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerpa View Post
I'm having the same issues. I contacted the support ninja's and so far they haven't been able to solve my issue. I'm still waiting for another reply. Hope they can figure it out soon.
Ellen
if your context is "onMyMAc" it works, if its on Icloud it doesn't.

I only use iCloud calendars. I hope this feature comes soon.

Things, The Hit List and even freeware Anxiety manage to sync with iCloud.

I have Omnifocus on my Phone/iPad/Mac however I still like to use Reminders for more simple everyday tasks.

I hope this can be in a future update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelchi View Post
if your context is "onMyMAc" it works, if its on Icloud it doesn't.
I created a calendar in iCal called Omnifocus. I created it on my mac. I thought that would solve the problem. Do I need to have a context that actually says "onMyMac"?
I received another reply from the Ninja's and they don't seem to be able to help.
Thanks,
Ellen

you should sync (in the OF preferences) one of your context with the Ical of choice...

it works

A

I finally got iCal syncing to work! The support ninja's asked me to reset sync services. Here's the email I received. Hope it helps someone else.

"Hm...I'm not sure what could be causing that. You may want to try resetting Sync Services:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627

There is another way that OmniFocus interacts with iCal that you may find useful. If you're synching OmniFocus through a WebDAV server, you can use the calendar subscription feature to publish iCal events from OmniFocus. Each time you sync OmniFocus with your sync server, any upcoming due events will be published to an .ics calendar file stored on your sync server, which iCal on your Mac or iOS device can subscribe to.

If you're not currently synching via MobileMe or WebDAV, you can sign up for our free server at <www.omnigroup.com/sync>. Once you've set up your account, go to <sync.omnigroup.com>, sign into your account, and click the "Send to OmniFocus" button to import your sync settings into OmniFocus.

Once you set up synching in the Sync Setting screen, click the "Publish Due reminders as a calendar" checkbox, then click on the Subscribe in iCal button. From there, iCal should show your upcoming due actions (anything due within the next two weeks) in OmniFocus as calendar events."

I'm new to Omni and I too have this problem. It's very disappointing because I only use iCloud-based calendars in iCal. I have several of them.

All I see in the iCal tab is (unsynchronized) and one sports calendar which I subscribe to (not sure why that's the only one I see, and even that was only after resetting sync services). This was one of the selling points as to why I bought into the omni system, and now I see it doesn't even work. I really only bought the Mac version in order to have 2-way sync with my existing iCloud calendar to-dos/Reminders on the iPhone version of Omnifocus.

There are at least a couple of other (iphone) apps such as Pocket Informant Pro which do communicate with iCal via iCloud without issue. In the case of PIP, they just read the iCal/Reminders database on the iPhone so they don't even have to sync directly with iCloud. I guess the iCal DB on the iPhone is not as bifurcated as it is on the Mac, but Omnifocus for iPhone could do the same thing and push the data back to the Mac version. It's just another way to accomplish the same thing, but it would work. I have other Mac applications which interact with the iCal database so it's a logical common database for applications to use for calendars and to-do functions, but from OS 10.7 and on, most will not be using "onmymac" calendars anymore, they will be using iCloud. I had a nightmare converting my old OnMyMac calendars to iCloud once I went to Lion, and I'm certainly not going to go backwards now that it's working.

I just don't like the workflow and feature set in those other iOS apps as much, but like them or not, this lack of iCloud sync in Omni is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe I'll be back when you guys have it.

Devs: Please implement comprehensive iCloud integration and sync. Somehow.

Last edited by danseq; 2013-02-09 at 09:59 PM..

If you are within 30 days of purchase, you can get a full refund by emailing sales@omnigroup.com if not happy with your purchase. They don't want your money if the tool doesn't do what you need.

From what I remember, it appears that the APIs for iCal and Reminders doesn't have sufficient documentation to help developers get up to speed with Reminders and iCal. It has been a lot of testing, experimenting, and hair-pulling for developers to figure out what Apple's APIs are.

Other programs have also had issues with Reminders and iCal in Mountain Lion. BusyCal has had to yank some features such as syncing tasks. I tend to sync to Google calendar instead. Apple hasn't had a great track record when it comes to cloud services. MobileMe was the latest example of a major faceplant when it came to cloud syncing.

iCloud has been a moving target from the beginning. Every time Apple issues a developer release of the latest Mountain Lion builds, iCloud has somehow changed and broken something. Developers have had to create workarounds that would work in one build of OS X but not in a later build. This is the frustrating part.

iCloud had a lot of promise for syncing cloud documents. But Omnigroup and many other companies have seen its limitations. It has gotten to the point where Omnigroup will be releasing OmniPresence to allow syncing of complex documents that iCloud can't handle.

I prefer using Dropbox instead of iCloud for syncing documents across computers. iCloud is still in its formative stages and hasn't really set hold quite yet.