The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting or Grouping Contexts in Alpha Order for Report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have just sold a business, and there is a whole list of tasks to be done. So have a new project - Sale of Business.
Each task is assigned to a particular person, so have set up a context for each staff name.
Now have a printed list with the staff names scattered throughout.
Would like to have a printout with all Dicks tasks grouped, then Harry's tasks. And finally Tom's tasks. In other words, print the report Sorted by Context.
Is there some way of doing this?
Seems a very obvious need to me. Does anyone else need this capability too?
The list would be given to everyone, and they would use the list as their todo list, and would see what tasks are allocated to others, and hopefully everyone will brain dump and help identify any missing issues that need to be added.

Think I may have a solution - not quite the format I envisaged but works OK for this. Issue would be if the Team Name used for the Contexts were not unique for the project.
Contexts named Tom Dick and Harry are unique for this Project so next time I need this sort of report I may need to create unique contexts again.
Cannot see any way to filter this report for a particular project which would work around this issue.
Here's the workaround to produce a report sorted by context (team names)
Select Context Mode
Highlight the 3 contexts Dick Harry and Tom using Shift Command keys
And the list is sorted by Context, and in this case, as the Context is the team name, sorted by team name.
If the Contexts were used in other Projects then those would be included in the report, but not so in my situation here.

I think what you need is to Focus on your project first. Then, use the filter ribbon to view your tasks grouped (rather than sorted) by context. Does that do you?

P. S. For something of this magnitude, you might want to make Sale of Business a folder and put a bunch of projects inside it. What do you think?

Last edited by ambi; 2008-08-08 at 06:50 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambi View Post
I think what you need is to Focus on your project first. Then, use the filter ribbon to view your tasks grouped (rather than sorted) by context. Does that do you?

P. S. For something of this magnitude, you might want to make Sale of Business a folder and put a bunch of projects inside it. What do you think?
Thanks very helpful. Missing link was to Unhide the View Bar in context mode. Did not realise that the View bar could be seen in Context Mode.

Yes will probably arrange into folder plus project - did a brain dump late at night so obviously a bit stressed when I saw how much had to be done in such a short time.
BUT without OF I think the situation would have been very FUBAR