The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to Create New Projects & Inbox Items in Established Folders? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I frequently use the New Inbox Item button to create a project and add an action to it. This is done by tapping the inbox icon in the bottom right, titling my action and typing a new name in the Project field. This all works fine and well, but how--using this same workflow--can I create that project in an already established folder? Or even create a new folder?

In OmniFocus for Mac, I know you can do this by simply typing out the folder structure in the Inbox. For example: to create a new project named "Offers" in the Work > Jobs folder, I can simply type "Work:Jobs:Offers" in the Project field. Now I have a new project titled "Offers" that lives exactly where I want it to, neat and tidy, no extra organizing required.

Is it possible to do this with the Quick Entry/Inbox on the iPhone? What is the syntax? What works on the Mac ("Work:Jobs:Offers") does not work on the iPhone. Frustrating and counterintuitive...any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Inbox Item - Create a Project.PNG
Views:	1231
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1491  

You can't do it that way. Create the item using just the final component of the name (after the last ":", "Offers" in your example), then do Edit in Projects or Contexts view as appropriate, tap on the new item, and use the refile button (looks like an file folder) to move it to the right place.

Use Help->Send Feedback (or Send Feedback from iPhone app) to make a feature request to create nested items directly like you can on the Mac.

(Brian, perhaps you can go remove the two posts by the OP and myself from the original thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...0527#post80527)

Posts removed. Thanks!

Thanks for the information. Disappointing it can't work like that, but good to know that I wasn't missing something. I'll submit some feedback to Omni with the suggestion.

I can tell you that you are not the first person to send in such feedback ;) It is definitely worth doing, however, as more requests lead to a higher priority...