The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: new items w/o projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The default project (Miscellaneous) is a hindrance to good workflow, because
it behaves like a second inbox.

I have multiple single-action "projects", one for each folder. When I enter a new item in context view, it typically jumps around to place itself in the Misc. project. 9 times out of 10, I am entering a follow-up to an item I am about to check off. Sure, I can command-option-R to get to the project, but why bother if I don't need to. The other 10% of the time I'm entering a new item which can go in the inbox. Sure I can pop up the quick entry, but why enforce that modal behavior if there is no need.

The ideal behavior would be to have a new entry stay where entry was begun until the entry is complete, i.e., any project is entered. If no project is entered, it should go to the inbox. If that can't be done, then there should at least be the option in preferences of putting entries with no project entered into the inbox.

I've sent this as a feature request to the support ninjas. Anybody else with similar thoughts (or a good workaround)?

What do you have for settings for "Clean Up Inbox items which have" in the Data preferences? I use "Both a project and a context" and things stay exactly where I leave them until fully specified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What do you have for settings for "Clean Up Inbox items which have" in the Data preferences? I use "Both a project and a context" and things stay exactly where I leave them until fully specified.
I have the same setting. It's not an inbox issue, it's a context view issue. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't want items entered in context view to default to Miscellaneous (or whatever is set), I want them to go to the Inbox if no project is entered. Even better would be to have them assume the project immediately above, or at least to not jump around due to premature sorting while still entering. For some settings, e.g. group by project and sort by context, no premature sort, but for others, such as context and context there is. This does suggest the behavior is an unintended misfeature, if not a bug.

Last edited by mcogilvie; 2010-11-15 at 09:24 AM..

Ah, I missed that you were entering the actions in context mode. Sorry!

Premature sorting is definitely not intended - if you have cases where you can reproduce that behavior, please let the support ninjas know about them. My guess is that the sort is what's assigning that action to the Miscellaneous project.

In the short term, would Quick Entry be an easier way to add those items to the inbox?