The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Which Omnigraffle should I buy? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a student and plan to use this program as a way of organizing material and relationships in preparation for exams. I want to spend as little as possible and would therefore likely opt for the basic over the Pro version. However, where does it explain what I would lose by purchasing the "lesser" program?

The OmniGraffle pages at the OmniGroup web site list most of the Pro only features.

Just in case you didn't know, OmniGroup has education discounts on its software - access them through their store.

If you are a student and money was tight. I would plan on saving over the Pro version and buying the standard one as long as you also got OmniOutliner. The two work great together. You can quickly input text and relationships in OO and then import and finesse in OG. For a student the bundle would be more useful, I would imagine, than the OG Pro.

And snap, JKT is correct, Omni do great Education discounts.

Don't forget, in your evaluations, you can download trial licenses for all of Omni's products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW
If you are a student and money was tight. I would plan on saving over the Pro version and buying the standard one as long as you also got OmniOutliner. The two work great together. You can quickly input text and relationships in OO and then import and finesse in OG. For a student the bundle would be more useful, I would imagine, than the OG Pro.

And snap, JKT is correct, Omni do great Education discounts.

Don't forget, in your evaluations, you can download trial licenses for all of Omni's products.
While I go with what TommyW and JKT have said on the grounds of money being that tight, on the other hand, in the past I have, in hardware at least, always gone for the low-cost option and then found reason to regret that choice not long afterwards. That's why I'm not replacing my TiBook 400 till I have the money saved up for a 17" MacBook Pro! :D

But I did go straight for the Pro versions of OG and OO!

Mind you, Omni's upgrade prices are not as steep as upgrading a TiBook/MacBook Pro!

Mark

With OmniGroup's pricing scheme, it doesn't cost you more to upgrade to the Pro version later, if you find you need it. E.g. the upgrade price from OmniGraffle plus the original price of OmniGraffle = the price of OmniGraffle Pro.

There isn't really any penalty to trying OmniGraffle first, seeing how you go and if you find you did actually need those Pro features, you still have the option to get it at what is eventually the same price as before.

I'll just revisit this old thread with a question;

Is the education store only for students, or also for employes at education institutes, such as teachers?

Happy to help! Students, staff, and faculty at accredited educational institutions have access to the edu prices.

it is up to your budget..if you are rich, buy the higher one