The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A few quick questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a happy OnmiGraffle user. Thank you very much!

I am in need of an outline oriented tool and have a few questions about OmniOutliner. I am working on a dissertation and need a tool to capture and formulate my ideas and research. I have been using Graffle to build a mindmap but it is only a visual thing with no data behind it. Then I use Pages to maintain an outline that matches the Graffle image. I waste a bit of time keeping them in sync. I then use Numbers to maintain two sheets. One has a coded serial number I make up and the concept text from the outline in Pages. The other sheet takes those codes and details cites with the book, quote and page numbers of the quote. I manage my references in Endnote. Basically the code gets set when I create an outline entry or mindmap object. I create the code manually today. Then it never changes. It is a key that links my Numbers entries to the Endnote references.

Questions:

1. How can I make this easier with your solutions?

2. What interaction exists between Graffle and Outline?

3. Can Outline deal with my concept of the serial number code? I need that as a key to make a logical connection to my Endnote database.

Thanks in advance for your response.

First question, do you make changes directly to both the OmniGraffle mindmap and the Pages outline? Or do you only make changes in one and then sync the other?

I would image you can combine your Pages outline and both Numbers sheets into one OmniOutliner document but seeing some example images of all of them would help. It should certainly be possible but may require some layout differences.

Thanks!

I installed Outline and I am already productive. I was able to replace three Numbers spreadsheets and a Pages outline... and I haven't even taken the time to read the manual yet!

I am tripping over a few items but I will give the manual a try before I bother you again.

Thanks again.