The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omnifocus 2.0 for Mac or bust! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The syncing in OmniFocus is nonpareil.

There are multiple syncing options and things like audio and pictures are supported in syncing. I've tried out many many audio recording apps, and none match the syncing ease of OmniFocus.

I agree with Prider. I was using OF and decided to try Things, largely because a) its interface seemed so appealing, and b) I felt I wanted something simpler and less structured than OF. After living with Things for a week, I've decided that OF being more feature-rich (feature-richer?) works better for me. It may do more than I want, but it'll never do less, and that's important to me.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1702 View Post
Culturedcode have in a very smart way published their roadmap - outlining a clear strategy, but still incorporating some 'secret' projects.

Have a look at an excellent example on CRM (Customer Relationship Management) for Things:

http://culturedcode.com/forums/read.php?9,34457

http://culturedcode.com/status/

If Omnigroup did this, it would cut down the forums in half and give your customers a real clue of what to expect from you. Then you won't have those 'vapoware' accusations anymore either
If I remember correctly Cultured Code posted that development outline, which is visually compelling, because their customers were railing against them for their lack of communication, slow pace of development, and failure to implement basic features that customers had been asking for since the beginning. It seems that things have improved on their forums significantly, but it got pretty nasty over there precisely because Cultured Code wasn't communicating effectively about their plans. If you notice on their blog, prior to March of this year, the previous blog post was from September 2009. That arrivals plan was at that point a necessity not just as a means of communicating, but also to reengage their users, reassure users about the future of Things, and reestablish the customers trust in the company. They were pretty much in crisis communication mode, I would say.

Although I appreciate Cultured Code's design aesthetic and toyed with jumping to Things several times (I like pretty stuff!), and as much as I wish we could get a more compelling design/user interface in OF, what has kept me loyal to OG is their commitment to customer service (as well as the product). Every time I have had a problem, the support ninjas have been more than helpful. I think OG stays pretty engaged with their users through the forums and their blog. They seem to value two-way communication with their users. They allow for debate over their products and their development strategies and criticism of their choices on the forums. (I think someone else mentioned that CC shut down their forums because of the extreme amount of criticism) They generally keep users abreast of where things are going. And they do this on regular intervals so they never have to go in crisis communication mode. Just because their style of communication may be more informal than the CC "Arrivals" page doesn't mean it is less effective. In fact I think CC can learn a thing or too about CRM from OG.

Not knocking CC, but they definitely made some PR blunders. In in this day when more and more companies are showing less and less concern for customers, Omnigroup's approach to customer service is refreshing. And they do what they do without being forced to by an angry mob.

+1 for Omnigroup

Last edited by ashyh; 2010-04-16 at 01:25 AM..

Ford or Chevy? I guess it is a "to each their own" I found that OF was to cumbersome for me and that is another reason why I switched. Just curious, is it possible to give my copy and activation # of OF (Mac and iPhone) to a co-worker?

Last edited by Brian; 2010-04-16 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: MODERATOR FAIL! I hit "edit" instead of quote. Repaired as much as possible. Very sorry! :-(

I'll take a VW…

Anyway. It is possible to gift the app and activation to someone. Don't know if it's ethical, but at least I do not believe it would be illegal as long as you destroy all copies of your originals. Anyone else have a different take on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
Ford or Chevy? I guess it is a "to each their own" I found that OF was to cumbersome for me and that is another reason why I switched. Just curious, is it possible to give my copy and activation # of OF (Mac and iPhone) to a co-worker?
In the US, there is a legal concept called the first-sale doctrine that provides the purchaser of a copyrighted item the right to sell it to another (otherwise, used bookstores would be criminal enterprises). However, software companies (including Omni) often insist in their End User License Agreements that they are not selling you the software, but merely a non-transferable license to use the software, hoping to make an end-run around the first-sale doctrine. As you might expect, there have been some legal actions as a result, but it isn't settled law, and the courts have often sided with the consumer.

As a practical matter, the copy of the iPhone app you bought is tied to your iTunes account, and the only legal way for it to be used (without potentially running afoul of the DMCA) is for the purchaser to load it with iTunes while signed into your iTunes account. That's not going to be convenient except in rare circumstances, I think. With the desktop app there is no machinery in the way, only your interpretation of the EULA and your conscience.

My observation of Omni's behavior over the years is that they prefer to have happy, satisfied customers who use the software, not the money of unhappy customers who don't. If you bought within the last 30 days, investigate the 30-day money back guarantee. If not, a nice note to sales@omnigroup.com asking for assistance might get you some.

Quote:
Just curious, is it possible to give my copy and activation # of OF (Mac and iPhone) to a co-worker?
The App Store has it's own set of terms and conditions determined by Apple, but we do support the transfer of licenses for our Mac apps that were purchased from our online store. If you bought a retail copy, you can pretty much do that by handing them the disk. :-)

In any case, if you'd like to transfer your license for OmniFocus for Mac to someone else, contact our sales folks and they can assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The App Store has it's own set of terms and conditions determined by Apple, but we do support the transfer of licenses for our Mac apps that were purchased from our online store. If you bought a retail copy, you can pretty much do that by handing them the disk. :-)

In any case, if you'd like to transfer your license for OmniFocus for Mac to someone else, contact our sales folks and they can assist.
Yes I purchased it online from the time it was beta. Since I don't plan on using it any longer I was going to let a co-worker have my license. The question I have is, isn't the license tied into the user name? So if I gave him my license number it wouldn't work since the user name on his Mac is different, or do you reassign a new license number to him based upon his user name? As far as the iPhone version, I guess he will just need to purchase his own copy and there is nothing I can do about my copy except delete it and eat the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prider View Post
I'll take a VW…

Anyway. It is possible to gift the app and activation to someone. Don't know if it's ethical, but at least I do not believe it would be illegal as long as you destroy all copies of your originals. Anyone else have a different take on this?
I'm with you there. I have a Limited Production New Beetle Turbo S and a restored 1966 Type I.

Quote:
Yes I purchased it online from the time it was beta. Since I don't plan on using it any longer I was going to let a co-worker have my license. The question I have is, isn't the license tied into the user name? So if I gave him my license number it wouldn't work since the user name on his Mac is different, or do you reassign a new license number to him based upon his user name?
Which part of Brian's message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
wasn't clear enough? :-)

The license is not tied to your username. They do however put your name in the license file so that the owner can be displayed in the licenses display. If you read the license agreement, a single license can be used either by one person on many computers, or by many people on one computer. The latter case isn't going to work if the license only works with one username!