The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Copy & paste action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got seven projects, each of them needing the same action (each project will eventually have other actions). I created the desired action in the first project. What's the best way to copy & paste the action into the other (currently empty) projects?

I tried "copy", then clicked on another project and did "paste" but nothing happened. I also tried clicking just under the project, where actiions would go, but a paste doesn't work either.

I tried Ctrl-drag to drag a copy of the action to another project, that didn't work.

Finally, I right-clicked the action, chose "duplicate", then dragged the copy to another project. I'm going to be doing a lot of this (adding many actions to a group of projects) - is there a better way??

My first suggestion would be to create one project as a template, then duplicate that, but duplication of projects doesn't seem to work, at least not the way I tried it. (Selecting a project and choosing "Duplicate" from the menu bar resulted in a system beep.)

For duplicating actions, option-dragging is what you are looking for.

Doesn't work for me. Looks like it's *going* to work, halfway through, as you see a plus sign, but when you let go, it puts what looks like a hyperlink to the task *inside* the project label. I'm reporting this as a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My first suggestion would be to create one project as a template, then duplicate that, but duplication of projects doesn't seem to work, at least not the way I tried it. (Selecting a project and choosing "Duplicate" from the menu bar resulted in a system beep.)

For duplicating actions, option-dragging is what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
I tried Ctrl-drag to drag a copy of the action to another project
It's option drag on the mac, not control drag to 'drag' and make a copy simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Doesn't work for me. Looks like it's *going* to work, halfway through, as you see a plus sign, but when you let go, it puts what looks like a hyperlink to the task *inside* the project label. I'm reporting this as a bug.
Depends where you drop it. If you drop it among other actions, it copies the action to the right place, even turning an existing action into an action group, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek View Post
It's option drag on the mac, not control drag to 'drag' and make a copy simultaneously.
Right, brain fart on my part. Unfortunately, Opt-drag doesn't work for me. It seems to leave a link in the project, as Santra has reported. However, later, the link seems to change to text, and in one instance the link disappeared altogether. Definite bug here.

This brings up the old suggestion of supporting template projects. Now I can appreciate that.

I should add that when I tried dragging an action to a project and it didn't "stick", well.... I just discovered the action went into the inbox!

One way of dealing with this is to somehow engineer it so that the source project and the destination project are both in the right hand pane. Then you can option-drag to make a copy in the destination project on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Right, brain fart on my part. Unfortunately, Opt-drag doesn't work for me. It seems to leave a link in the project, as Santra has reported. However, later, the link seems to change to text, and in one instance the link disappeared altogether. Definite bug here.

This brings up the old suggestion of supporting template projects. Now I can appreciate that.