The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advice on my structure Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I've been using Omnifocus for almost a year now, and whenever I find the time I read up on new topics. I have tried most other GTD apps, and for some reason I find Omnifocus the best software to use on a day-to-day basis for my workflow. The only problem I am running into is that I am not happy with my structure, and I decided to ask for some help. Maybe someone here can give me a better idea on how to set up my projects, context, etc....

I run a children's clothing business from home. I manage to sew 1-2 dresses a day, because I am also a mom with two children. My business takes place in the future and I have to be well organized, because I always have at least 25-40 orders sitting on my desk. Each one of these orders has a due date - anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Each order has multiple tasks. I try to somehow streamline my workflow by lumping similiar products into the same context. For instance if I have 3 orders for Dress A, once I pull the fabric and cut one dress out, I like to cut the others out no matter when they are due to help facilitate the future projects. It saves me time.

So thus far, I have set up my Omnifocus to look like this

Work
- Client Name
- Olivia Dress 5
- Cut Olivia Dress 5
- Add Trim, Sash, Flower Olivia 5
- Mail Overnight
- Client Name

I always include a context sewing, cutting, mail, and a start date so I know who to work on next. When I review for the week, I then add due dates. I would prefer to only look at one weeks worth of upcoming projects in case I don't finish everything I have planned.

Here are some of the problems I run into...
- Forecasting: When a customer asks whether I can get a dress done in 5 weeks. I cannot tell. There are so many tasks in my Omnifocus, that I am anxious everytime I look at it. I sometimes get behind schedule, and for some reason I turn to a calendar to try and figure it all out. I guarantee my clients a six week shipping timeframe. So when I get five orders in one day and give them all the same due date, I know there is no way to get all five of these dresses done in one day. That is when I need to reschedule, but I don't like to plan so far ahead, because I know it will change.

- Streamlining tasks. Like I mentioned above, although I really do not have the time slotted for this, it is just easier for me in the long run to at least cut out the same dress multiple times instead of doing it over and over again for 10 days. So it is important for me to sort projects/tasks to know what size I need and what dress I am working on. However I am not sure whether I should be more specific with my contexts or task names

Review Process:
This process takes quite a long time because although Customer A ordered before Customer B, Customer B needs her dress three days before, and customer Z needs it two weeks earlier. So I always have to take a long hard look at my long list of tasks.

I would like to hear your suggestions on what you think of my set up, and if you think there is a better way to organize my tasks/projects, etc. I am definitely one of those people who would love to see a better integration with ICAL.
Jeannine