The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"stadium" every where Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Curt - I do the same thing myself. It really makes the weekends a lot easier (except that the iPhone version doesn't support this), but I'm wondering how you handle my "use cases" posted above, which I have in both my top level Work and Personal folders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruck View Post
Curt - I do the same thing myself. It really makes the weekends a lot easier (except that the iPhone version doesn't support this), but I'm wondering how you handle my "use cases" posted above, which I have in both my top level Work and Personal folders...
This isn't very helpful I'm afraid, but my answer is that I don't handle your use case. I don't do any planning of what I'm going to do today or this week. I just do regular reviews so I know what's urgent and what's important, then I work on it. I found that trying to plan what I was going to accomplish in any particular time interval was just a stress inducer and didn't actually help me accomplish any more than I would otherwise.

If I notice during reviews that I can't accomplish everything on my plate, then I start renegotiating commitments. I've found that people are amazingly agreeable to renegotiations if you're preemptive, apologetic, and have a good reason.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruck View Post
I'm with Curt in finding that too detailed planning of the work that you aren't going to get done today results in an increased stress level (and less work done today). Why not make a morning scan or review of what's on your plate, flag all the "must do today" items, and not sweat the others until you've accomplished all of that? I know, I know, it isn't the <insert your favorite productivity sage here> way to do things, and you really want priorities, but it is something you can do now to help tame your workload, whereas not even Omni can tell you when you'll get some big new feature that will let you do what you ask.

A paperless alternative to your current scheme is to select the rows of interest, copy, and paste into a blank TextEdit document. You'll just get the name of the action, no dates, duration, notes, context, but you can order it as you like, print it if you want something to scribble on, and if you click on the actions, they are hotlinks back to the corresponding action in your OmniFocus document, so you can check them off, consult notes, etc.