The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

share one project only with another computer? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to share one project with my assistant, but I don't want her to see other projects. Is that possible?

Not really, no. The sync features are designed to share the entire document.

I presume you have two licenses for OmniFocus, so you could run entirely separate databases for you and your assistant, and just export the project in question from your database and import it into hers. Or do you need to both be tinkering with that shared project frequently?

Another option, if you both need to have access to common data, but you want to keep your own stuff separate: set up an alternate user on your Mac. Run OmniFocus there, set up to sync with your assistant via MobileMe. Only put the shared stuff in that database. Everything else, do in your own database, in your primary user, with no syncing set up. Shifting things between the two databases will not be terribly convenient, but neither will it be impossible.

Well, Lizard wins the succinctness competition, hands down :D

Succinct isn't always best. I'm probably becoming curmudgeonly. As you point out, there are some alternatives.

I use a project as my call list. So I want Both me and my assistant to be able to add calls and change their status. Exporting/importing won't be practical.

As always, the best way to influence Omni into building the widget you want is to tell them that you want it. Use the Help->Send Feedback command in OmniFocus to make your request officially known in the development database.

I do something similar using iCal, but I don't know if it'd help you. I set up a new calendar in iCal, and set OF to sync one context to that. I then sync my iCal and my assistant's using MobileMe. My assistant doesn't use OF, but if she did she could sync her copy with her copy of iCal to pick up that one calendar.

Obviously it's not perfect, the biggest issues being that it'll only transfer info that iCal supports, and that syncing iCal means both copies will be completely in sync - it's not possible to keep separate data in each copy while syncing one calendar.

It may me possible to do something using published and subscribed calendars, but I've never tried it.

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-08-22 at 06:19 PM..

thanks, that may help. One question: I created a "calls" calendar in iCal, then I synced it w/OF. However, the calls end up with a context and no project. For some reason, I don't see them when I select the "call" context; they only appear in the inbox.

Hmm yes I just tried that. I created a a task in iCal, in a calendar called "Mandy", called "test [New Shower]", and synced. It correctly gave it a project of "New Shower", and a context of "Mandy", but put it into my inbox rather than the project/context.

Then, as soon as I hit clean up, without editing it at all, it was removed from Inbox and filed correctly. I guess the logic is that anything coming into OF should come via the inbox so you have an oportunity to process it, but maybe this should respect the "immediately clean up Quick Entry items" setting in OF, which bypasses the inbox if an item already has a context and a project. It's essentially the same thing - just another form of Quick Entry.

I'm not sure really. I quite like the idea that if someone else has created an item, I'll be alerted to it when I look at my inbox, even if I don't need to edit it. I suspect the behaviour I want would vary depending on the nature of the incoming item or at least on its project/context, so the current behaviour may be the only safe one.

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-08-24 at 03:11 AM..