The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What is this for? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Does anyone use this feature introduced in OG5? (It sits on the bottom toolbar below the working area.) I know it shows the selected object's style properties, but I don't know why, and what I can do with it. It's certainly not very readable "at a glance".

If the image above doesn't display, it's also on http://www.twitpic.com/2rhse

That's the Style Tray. You can drag a chit from the tray when you have something selected to some other object and apply that particular style. Also, double-clicking a chit will bring up the appropriate inspector to change it.

I'm learning to use the style tray, but I haven't figured out how to apply a style chit to multiple objects at once. I must be missing how to do this. I recently learned how to apply styles, not being a power user yet, but I haven't yet grasped how to apply a style to more than one object at once. Whether I try it with the style chit at the bottom of the tray or the style brush, I only manage to get the style applied once, even (in the case of the style brush) if I have more than one of the same type of object selected.

I'd like to be able to select a group of objects with the Selection inspector and then apply a style from a different object or group within the inspector.

Please let me in on the secret - I'll go so much faster once I know.

Thanks,

- A

Last edited by aliza-g; 2009-06-09 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: title didn't show up

For any of the toolbar buttons, including the style brush, double click them to make them active more than once (the first time you click you get a 1 icon to show the e.g. brush will only function once before reverting to the selection tool; the second click makes this icon disappear and you can then use the e.g. brush multiple times until you select another tool).

Another way is to make sure that you have the Canvas: Selection inspector in view (see below). Then you can drag and drop chits from the style tray to any of the objects in the Selection inspector to change that particular characteristic for the selection of object(s) onto which you drop it:

In the above example, I am dragging the red fill from the style tray of one of my red objects to the group of yellow filled objects. When I drop it, they will all adopt the red fill as well.

Thanks JKT - that was one thing I hadn't tried: style chit to selection inspector. Hooray - it works.