The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How are people using Tasks to Review Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm curious how you're using a task that you schedule to review.

There's a stencil on Graffletopia that I want to download, but it's temporarily unavailable due to excessive downloads. So I've got a task to check weekly to see if it's available. I've put that task in my folder of singleton tasks.

The task has a start date of 7/1/2007 and no due date. I have it set to come up for review every week.
My context view is sorted by start date, though, so this item is always on the very top. Even when I mark it as reviewed, it stays on the top of the list -- though I don't have any plans to do anything with it for another week. I thought that maybe I need to change the filter from Remaining to Next, and it went away, but so did too many other items. Also, I experimented and changed the next review date to yesterday and changed the filter to Next, but it still didn't appear, so it looks like if I use that filter, the item will never show up.

So I'm not seeing what the Review period does for me, and I'd like to hear how others utilize it.
Chuck

You probably want to change that particular task to "Check to see if download is available", give it a start date one week in the future, and give it a repeat interval of 1 week after completion. Then it will disappear until the week is up, you'll check the site, check-off the task, and be reminded again in a week. Once the stencil is available, you'll remove the repeat and check-off the task for good.

As to review intervals, I currently assign review intervals at the project level. My daily review includes looking at all active projects that are due for review today. The individual review intervals depend on the importance or volatility of the project. That is, projects that are more important or most likely to change rapidly get short review intervals.

I also use review intervals for On-Hold projects. My weekly review includes looking at all On-Hold projects that are due for review in the coming week. Again, the review intervals vary here based on importance.

Hope that helps!

Curt

Curt,
good idea about making it a recurring event -- thanks.

Tell me more about how you're using the Review, please. How does setting a project to Review work when you're in Context mode, especially your on-hold projects?

Review intervals have no effect on Context view. I think review intervals are intended only for whole projects and so only work in Project view (which I tend to think of as "Planning" view, after other's suggestions here).

See this thread for a description of how I'm using reviews.

Curt

Curt's post made me think of another reason for singleton buckets: you can set review intervals for them, making it possible to review your singleton actions, and to set different frequencies for different sets of singletons.