The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reports to make me more efficient Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would love if OmniFocus had some reporting that would help me answer:

* How did I spend my time last week / last month?
* How much work was accomplished / how much work was added?
* Status of completion of my projects

I realize that this would force some things, such as having a notion of time keeping (maybe a little box asks me once an hour what I'm working on), and a notion of time estimation.

Ultimately, I would hope that my GTD system would help me get better at execution, which will mean more focus, but also reaching milestones faster.

Reports are clearly important, I might call them "stats".

The problem with tracking how much time you did something would be you would either have to tell OmniFocus (OF), like this task took 2 hours, or OmniFocus would have to watch you (a little weird and hard).

That being said, there are all sorts of stats that a GTD like app that is tracking your stats could (and hopefully will) track.

- How many new projects last month
- How many projects/tasks completed
- How long did it take me to complete tasks or projects last month vrs this month
- How many open tasks projects?

Stuff like that. Of course, OmniFocus will have to track a lot of start and stop times and be able to query it, but hopefully the guys at OmniWeb are thinking this way already.

BZ

It would be great if there were an actual time-tracking feature built into OmniFocus. Right now I use OmniOutliner to list my things to do and projects, and then a separate program to track the time each task takes.

Having customizable reports that could group tasks or projects would be great, too. For instance, I keep track of several art projects that I do, as well as exercise I do and various household chores. It would be great if I could get a report for *everything*, but have it broken down in groups like "art" "exercise" and "chores." So it would show 70% of my day was art, but within that 70%, 20% was painting, 50% was drawing, etc., but at the same time still showing it within the context of the whole day (70% art, 10% exercise, 20% chores)

I hope that made sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiecab
It would be great if there were an actual time-tracking feature built into OmniFocus. Right now I use OmniOutliner to list my things to do and projects, and then a separate program to track the time each task takes.
I have been looking for a programme that does time tracking - by the programme I am using, the document that I am editing, the website I am browsing or by any other criteria. If OmniFu tracks how much time I am spending at my computer actually PRODUCTIVELY working, not just the actual time that I am able to convince my boss that I am working, and could shame me with a reminder of quite how much time I spend browsing OmniForums and the BBC then I might actually see how the name OmniFocus could be deserved...

Still prefer OmniFu though. :rolleyes:

I am completely in favor of statistics for existing data. I do not need another time tracking feature though.

It would be enough for me, to have a better overview of how many hours I planned in which project, which context, today, yesterday, ...

A graphical overview would be good.

Any comments from the support ninjas on this?