The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Does OmniWeb RSS work for anyone? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A couple of versions ago I gave up using RSS within OmniWeb because it was so slow when I had a few dozen bookmarked RSS feeds. I had a folder in Favorites called RSS and all my feeds were bookmarked in that folder. When I clicked on the folder in my favorites bar, it took several seconds for the list to open up. If I tried using the OW icon in the Dock, it invariably didn't work. Very disappointing.

I thought I'd give it another go on OmniWeb-5.5.1-v607.5 to see if things had improved. Unfortunately now simply adding an RSS feed causes OW to freeze and then go very slow so I have to force quit. Then, of course, when I start it up again the RSS feeds aren't there.

I did a search on this forum for RSS and apparently there isn't a single post which mentions RSS. I am very surprised.

Have I come accross a bug, or maybe a non-functioning feature, like bookmark syncing? ;-)

Works without any problems for me for the 11 feeds I subscribe to (with the exception of the Dock icon badge not updating correctly when marking feeds as read using the Dock menu - I think this is a known or reported issue).

RSS support has improved markedly in the 5 series. It generated serious crashers in the 4 series. That said there are still certain RSS feeds that don't work. But I did report a fair number of bugs in it an most of them (all the important ones) were fixed.

What's far worse for me is its crummy performance and the amount of clicking needed to make it work. I would switch away to an app designed for this except I can't live without:
  1. Ad Blocking
  2. Tabs
  3. Bookmarks
I think the current implementation is an interesting idea and has some features worth keeping but overall I consider it lame, or perhaps I should say, still unfinished.

But despite all that I use it every day.

We recently found issues with bookmark synching with certain (presumably buggy) webdav servers that ate huge amounts of CPU and constantly leaked memory.

We used the opportunity to track down all the leaks in bookmarks that this exposed and then turned off the constant cycle of trying to get the version the server has, merging with the current bookmarks, then uploading (which would fail and try again). Now we try twice, then abort.

Er, Len, is this in the right thread? If so the context whooshed over my head. I don't have a webdav server.

My reply was to this part of his message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf
[...]Unfortunately now simply adding an RSS feed causes OW to freeze and then go very slow so I have to force quit. Then, of course, when I start it up again the RSS feeds aren't there.

[...]

Have I come accross a bug, or maybe a non-functioning feature, like bookmark syncing? ;-)