The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.9.2 SP Safari 4 Webkit Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, as much as I can say, as a paid user, I just don't see the speed anywhere near that of Safari 4. Sorry. Safari 4 is wicked fast! Omni is okay, but nothing to write home about.

And it still has that "age old" problem of crashing on NeoPETS, a Flash site, which Safari 4 doesn't have. Nor does FireFox or Opera.

Frankly, as far as speed is concerned, it seems on a par with Firefox 3. But nowhere close to Safari 4.

Just my 2¢

John

OmniWeb still seems to have huge memory leaks. It just grows and grows.

But Safari 4 has seemed to have solved this problem. I can open enough tabs to take Safari to 300 meg. Yet when I close those tabs, Safari settles down to about 70 Meg. Omniweb just keeps on growing and growing in size.

Bummer!!!

John

I have to agree. 5.9.2 is faster than 5.9.1, but still nowhere near Safari 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPGUY View Post
OmniWeb still seems to have huge memory leaks. It just grows and grows.

But Safari 4 has seemed to have solved this problem. I can open enough tabs to take Safari to 300 meg. Yet when I close those tabs, Safari settles down to about 70 Meg. Omniweb just keeps on growing and growing in size.

Bummer!!!

John
Not my experience. After my first day in 2 years back using OW (which I formerly paid for...) I found OW had real memory usage of 377 Mb with a dozen or so tabs open and closed all day, while Safari 4 (whose tabs I closed hours ago and that has no open windows) is STILL at 400+ Mb!

On the whole OW with webkit v.4 seems pretty good to me, although I'm missing some sort of tab list: I love visual tabs and have always used them in Safari via SafariStand. But tab-like tabs at least give you a visual impression of what's open while visual tabs scroll off the bottom of the drawer.

Two possible solutions:

1. FavIcons in the 'collapsed' version of the tabs in the tab drawer

2. A tab list (like Firefox) on the Top Right of the bookmark bar.

I'd prefer solution (1).

Best

Would the posters who stated here that OmniWeb 5.92 SP was slower than Safari 4 and no better than Firefox 3x please post their test results in this thread showing comparisons for cold start, warm start, css rendering, rendering table, script speed, multiple images and history?
We would all be interested in your actual figures. Thanks.

Hi Guys,
Now stand by for a dumb question,apology first.
What is this full page zoom and how do I get it ?

Cheers.

PS I am of course on the latest sneakypeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsy View Post
Hi Guys,
Now stand by for a dumb question,apology first.
What is this full page zoom and how do I get it ?

Cheers.

PS I am of course on the latest sneakypeek.
Hold down Shift and hit the green button (what is it actually called?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekJAB View Post
Thanks Derek,
Got it ( I call it the green gumdrop )

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekJAB View Post
Actually, Full Page Zoom in this context is referring to WebKits ability to scale the images as well as the text when pressing command-plus and command-minus.

You can enable this by running this command in terminal while OmniWeb is not running:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitDebugFullPageZoomPreferenceKey 1

Ah. Thanks, Troy.