The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No To-Dos created for Projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using Todo on my iTouch. I had organized my to-dos as projects with Todo, and it was syncing fine with iCal as a flat list; each "Project" also had its own to-do item in iCal which is good because projects have final submission due dates. I have been printing my iCal with To-Dos as an agenda each week because it includes the to-do and event notes, which I use to store class syllabi and assignment prompts.

So now I'm considering OmniFocus because it has a better todo interface on the desktop than iCal. However, when I imported my list and organized my projects so that the final submission to-do is the project's holder, I noticed that those project to-dos no longer show up in iCal. This is a problem because a project is more than the sum of its parts, and I think it's a little silly to add a "Submit project" action to every project just so that I can get the project's due date manifested into my iCal organizational system.

Is there any best-practice solution to this, or should I just add my final submission action to projects? What a shame because that's a very unintuitive way to deal with a very nice program.

Welcome to the forums, Aigeanta! Actions are exported to iCal, but no, projects are not themselves treated as actions. I think this is the first request we've gotten for exporting them to iCal alongside the actions, but now that you mention it, I can see how that might be handy...

If you email the support ninjas, they can open a new feature request on this. Other folks that would like to see this added should also email the ninjas and ask to be added to the request. One of the metrics we use when planning our work is the number of folks asking for a given change; items with more requests attached tend to get higher priority.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-11-17 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: added mail link for support ninjas

I've added a "Submit project" action to each Project to hold the final due date information. The project description notes that I was storing in the project are now stored in a "Plan project" action. I will go ahead and email the ninjas with my feature request.