The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Trial software for iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
the main reason I am currently considering OMNI Focus for my Mac and my iPhone, is due to unsolved problems synchronizing iCal with my iPhone. I have therefore downloaded a trial version of OMNIFocus for my Mac. The main feature I would like to test though is the direct (without MobileMe) synchronization with my macbook pro. Is there a trial version for the iPhone as well?

Thanks in advance

ThD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thd View Post
Is there a trial version for the iPhone as well?
No, there are no "trial" versions of ANY iPhone software. Much as I'm sure OmniGroup would like to offer trial versions, Apple does not allow that business model.

Sorry.

J

Last edited by jet14; 2008-10-23 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: cleaning up meaning

The direct sync hasn't been released yet.

Some iPhone apps are doing a `lite' and `pro' version to get around the problem of trial software. The lite version is free and the pro version paid. Not quite sure how that would work for OF. I guess they could limit the number of projects or something but then it wouldn't be clear that sync was working.

Michael

Just to clarify what mmurray has written - the version 1.1 of OmniFocus for the iPhone is needed for the direct (Bonjour) synchronisation between Mac and phone. Currently it isn't available as it is being vetted by Apple (OmniGroup only recently submitted it to the App store). This normally takes around a week to happen, so it probably won't appear for a few days yet.

I guess one way OmniGroup could do a 'lite' version would be to offer OmniFocus for the iPhone with no synching features whatsoever (that is, make it an iPhone-only version of the app). It would give people (and PC users) a free taste of the UI etc, but prevent them from using it to its full potential (because, let's face it, the app only really shines in combination with a Mac and desktop OmniFocus - it'd be useful as a standalone product on the iPhone but not that useful).

Ah if it had been a week earlier I could have stopped Apple charging me for mobile me! I only use it for OF.

The problem with a lite version with no sync is you couldn't test the sync which seems to be what the OP wanted.

Good to hear its coming soon. I'll keep clicking on the App Store :-)

Michael

I'd suggest that if OF for the Mac is good for you, the iPhone is just an extension of that software. Honestly, if you like the desktop version, just get the iPhone version, you'll like it.

-- KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkingmd View Post
I'd suggest that if OF for the Mac is good for you, the iPhone is just an extension of that software. Honestly, if you like the desktop version, just get the iPhone version, you'll like it.

-- KK
I just started using OmniFocus last week and after getting over a little learning curve, I am thinking I'll love it. I bought the iPhone app and apparantly was one of the first to get V1.1. I would agree with kevin here 100%. The iPhone app is very, very well done... so if you like the desktop, the iPhone add-on is a no brainer to me.