The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner and DevonThink Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd be very interested in hearing from the group how they are using OmniOutliner in conjunction with DevonTHINK.

My objective is to search with DevonAGENT, then compile, sift and organize the data in DevonTHINK. I'd then export data out of DevonTHINK (or use OO's clipping service or cut & paste), for further categorizing, thought development, writing and planning.

Once complete, I would like to import the information back into DevonTHINK for archiving and subsequent search.

If anyone is currently working in this way, I would really like to hear how it's going for you along with any snags or tricks you've learned along the way.

OmniOutliner files work well within DEVONthink 2 - the contents are transparently available to the database, and:
  • Indexed by DT2
  • Visible in the DT2 contents panes

My workflow starts with text or RTF files, which I hammer out on a very simple and distraction-free Dana/Neo machine, really intended for children :-)

At mid-day I drag my RTF files to an Applescript droplet which converts them to .oo3 files (respecting any TaskPaper-style formatting which they may contain) and drops them in the global DEVONthink 2 Inbox.

(The droplet passes any files which are neither TXT nor RTF straight to the DT2 Inbox, unconverted).

Once they are in .oo3 (embedded in a DT2 database), I use OmniOutliner to rework their structure.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-06-18 at 12:39 AM..

Is anyone else having trouble integrating OmniOutliner with DEVONthink? I'm running the latest versions of both (OmniOutliner Pro 3.9.2b1, DEVONthink Pro Office 2.0b6)... but somehow all my OmniOutliner documents are opaque to DEVONthink. I.e., it's not indexing them, and DT search doesn't include OmniOutliner document contents.

There's a thread on the DEVONthink forum as well, but so far no solutions. Any comments would be welcome...

Thanks,
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyler View Post
DT search doesn't include OmniOutliner document contents
oo3 docs are included by DT2 search on my system (DT Pro Office 2.0pb6)

My first thought was to ask what is the setting in your OO3 default document (in the Inspector) for Document > Advanced > Compress on Disk.

The hypothesis was that gzipped package contents might be opaque to DT2. Some of the oo3 documents which are successfully showing up in DT searches in my database turn out, however, to be compressed. A null result, in short.

Not sure what is happening on your system, I'm afraid.

Good luck !

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-09-05 at 06:29 AM..

I am having the same problem as you, Dan. Can you send the link from the DevonThink forums so that I can stay on top of both conversations to find out if/when a resolution has been found?

I suspect it has to do with one of the updates or possibly upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyler View Post
Is anyone else having trouble integrating OmniOutliner with DEVONthink? I'm running the latest versions of both (OmniOutliner Pro 3.9.2b1, DEVONthink Pro Office 2.0b6)... but somehow all my OmniOutliner documents are opaque to DEVONthink. I.e., it's not indexing them, and DT search doesn't include OmniOutliner document contents.

There's a thread on the DEVONthink forum as well, but so far no solutions. Any comments would be welcome...

Thanks,
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adad98 View Post
Can you send the link from the DevonThink forums so that I can stay on top of both conversations to find out if/when a resolution has been found?
DT forum link to OmniOutliner discussion

Quick bump... has anyone else experienced and resolved this issue?

Update: I've resolved the issue through a number of steps, including resetting the Spotlight index and DEVONthink settings.

Details here:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/sc...&t=3615#p43969

http://www.devon-technologies.com/sc...&t=3615#p43981