The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing Mess Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I backed up my Omnifocus app and all associated files a few weeks ago, and stopped using the program.

Now I've downloaded the latest Omnifocus, and tried to import the old data (which is on an external drive). The old database, titled OmniFocusDatabase2, won't import. I tried switching the file in for the newer empty OmniFocusDatabase2 file on my hard drive, but that didn't work, either.

So I've directed Omnifocus to "revert to database backup" and sent it to the most recent file in my "OmniFocus Backups" file on the external drive.

This did import my data, but for some reason it only has context data...there are no projects.

what a mess! Can anyone help?

Also: is there any way to divide the main window so that there a selected action's notes are automatically viewable/editable in a second frame, below?

Thanks very much!!

I can't answer why the backup didn't work, but I can tell you that you want the OmniFocus.ofocus file from your old <user>/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus directory. The OmniFocusDatabase2 file is a cache of the information in the OmniFocus.ofocus file for efficiency, and is not the primary storage location.

There's no option to have the notes displayed separately like there is in OmniOutliner. To make a feature request, use Help->Send Feedback or send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

THANK you!

When I first used omnifocus, I could swear the main viewing window had two panes, and the bottom-most one showed notes when present. Of course, I could be hallucinating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schoenfeld View Post
Of course, I could be hallucinating....
Don't think of it as hallucinating, think of it as superior eyesight, able to see that which the rest of us cannot :-)

There was a joke that went around some years ago here after Sears auto centers were involved in a scandal over alleged charging for unnecessary repairs. Someone suggested their new slogan could be "Our mechanics hear noises that others don't!"

Ah, figured it out. IGTD shows you notes for the highlighted action in a bottom pane.

I'll suggest it via your link.