The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

colours (I would like blue for today) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I would appreciate a different colour for today's tasks. Red seems better for missed tasks from yesterday and before I think. So why not take blue or green for today, red for yesterday and before and orange for the next days? Or give an opportunity to choose in preferences?
Sorry for my bad English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1304 View Post
I would appreciate a different colour for today's tasks. Red seems better for missed tasks from yesterday and before I think. So why not take blue or green for today, red for yesterday and before and orange for the next days? Or give an opportunity to choose in preferences?
OF is coloring based on due time, not date. If you set a due date of today, OF uses the time 00:00. So technically, OF considers the item past due. You could set the due time on items to something later in the day, say 17:00, and set the "soon" threshold in Preferences to 1 day. Then the current day would be orange and late would be red. You wouldn't get any special highlighting for future actions though.

Also, you can change the colors of "soon" items (but apparently not the badges) by selecting any orange item and choosing Format --> Font --> Show Colors. All red items will get the new coloring. Use Format --> Clear Style to reset the formatting.

Update: Build 94378 has a bug where the formatting changes don't survive a restart.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-11-10 at 06:29 AM..

And how do I set the Due time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1304 View Post
Hi,
I agree with you. I do not like having items due today marked as overdue or as soon. I would prefer that they be different. I like blue for that -- a very relaxing color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
OF is coloring based on due time, not date. If you set a due date of today, OF uses the time 00:00. So technically, OF considers the item past due. You could set the due time on items to something later in the day, say 17:00, and set the "soon" threshold in Preferences to 1 day. Then the current day would be orange and late would be red. You wouldn't get any special highlighting for future actions though.

Also, you can change the colors of "soon" items (but apparently not the badges) by selecting any orange item and choosing Format --> Font --> Show Colors. All red items will get the new coloring. Use Format --> Clear Style to reset the formatting.

Update: Build 94378 has a bug where the formatting changes don't survive a restart.
That seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a routine item that has a start and due date of today (such as your Weekly Review item). I have a number of those. Besides, I don't want to lose soon item coloring, and I would rather see today's tasks as a color other than whatever color I choose for soon items (I think orange is fine for them).

Having said that, thanks for the explanation and the suggestion. If OF does not implement a different color for today, or until they do, that is good workaround.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-11-10 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Typos

Quote:
And how do I set the Due time?
I found it by myself. And of course I agree with dhm2006: Good workaround.
I already changed the colour for "soon" in blue. Much nicer! Okay my overdue items are blue too, but nevertheless it looks just more friendly.

Yeah, I just gave the technical answer and not my thoughts on the design.

I'd like to see:
  • a preference for the default due time of items when I just enter a date
  • separate coloring for "soon" items vs. "sooner" items (In my previous homegrown GTD system using OO, I colored late items in red and pending items in a shade of orange. The orange appeared when an item was due within the next 2 weeks and became increasingly more intense until the due date.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Thanks again for suggesting this. I use a perspective that groups and sorts by due. In the today section, I have two types of actions due: (1) Routine, repeating actions and (2) One-off actions. I can let the first slide, but not the second.

So, using your explanation regarding due time, I set the due time for the routine actions to 11:59 P.M., making them orange. And, I set the due time for the one-off actions to 12:00 A.M., making them red.

That really helps me distinguish between the two in the Today section. I can tell at a glance which is which without continually setting flags. Also, it allows me to use flags for something else. Thanks.

I like this system so well that I retracted my feedback suggestion/request to OmniGroup to add a new color for items due "today" defined as from 12:00 A.M. to 11:59 P.M. This system of two different colors is much more helpful to me than having all one color.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-11-14 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: Added last paragraph.

Okay, now we have 95377 and my problem is not gone:
I have the colour red for things I have not done yesterday. That's okay!
But, I have the colour red for things I have to do today, too.
That's not okay for me. I don't want to set due times!
Todos don't have due times for me! Just due dates.
So I want red for overdue items, blue for today, orange for tomorrow, purple for next!!!

We have a bug logged on this; start dates should be interpreted as being at the beginning of the range ("today" -> beginning of day, for example) while due dates should be interpreted as being at the end of the range ("today" -> end of day).

Right now, this is sitting in triage waiting to be assigned a release, <bug://42222>