The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Let's look at some of Omni's competition in the productivity space:...

DevonThink: $50 (or more) Mac, $15 iPad/iPhone, universal app, but terrible reviews
I realize that the topic is about competitive product value, rather than competitive product features. Having said that, I would not consider DEVONthink to be a competitor to OmniFocus at all. The two products are highly complementary, as should be evident by the integration scripts included with DEVONthink and the fine scripts posted here and on the DEVON forum by other DEVONthink/OmniFocus users. DEVONthink would be a poor substitute for all that OmniFocus does, just as OmniFocus would be a poor substitute for all that DEVONthink does.

If one were to consider DEVONthink as an alternative to OmniFocus, then the logical choice would be the DEVONthink Pro version, which is the same price as OmniFocus. The higher price (by $70) DEVONthink Pro Office version includes OCR and advanced email archiving support. There is also a personal edition which is $30 less than either OmniFocus or DEVONthink Pro.

Yeah, that was a poor choice of words, software that handles a large clump of data accessible from multiple devices was the underlying idea I had in mind. Didn't mean to suggest that DT would be a good task manager...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amory View Post
People can charge what they like, but that does not make it good policy or good business.
OmniFocus for iPad has been consistently listed as higher grossing than Things when you look at the App Store list. That makes me think they must be doing something well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amory View Post
It is misleading to characterize, as OG does, the three platforms as independent. Synching between Macs, iPads, and iPhone is built in to most modern applications. What you the consumer buy is a function (organizing one's life by projects and tasks, in OF's case). $140 is a high price for this.

In my case, I own the Mac version and the iPhone version. I'd love to be able to adopt the "set anywhere, ready everywhere" method that is current and helpful in other Mac ecosystem apps. It is disappointing the OG does not adopt this model for its already premium priced products.
OG characterizes the *software development* and *costs* of the platforms as separate. Many parts of the app are quite different and quite expensive. Huge amounts of time have been spent that are specific to the app on each different platform.

I assume what you are proposing is that OmniGroup lower the prices for people who already own the app on another platform, yes?

Given that a significant majority of customers who buy the iOS app already have the desktop one, what you're proposing in effect is a significant price reduction. All the theoretical discussion about bundling theories etc. sidesteps what you're asking for: lower prices for the majority of iOS customers.

The way I see it, everybody gets the bundle price right now. Those who buy only the iOS apps are getting the bundle price as a bonus. Don't forget that OmniGroup can't actually sell the iOS apps at different prices to prior customers. One price for everybody in the App Store™.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
Given that a significant majority of customers who buy the iOS app already have the desktop one,
I wonder if that is true and if it will continue to be true in the future.

I don't have a Mac and therefore don't have OF for the Mac. I do have both IOS versions. I object to what seems to be a common idea that OF for iPad is some kind of accessory to the mac version. For me it is the GTD tool that I use. There are short comings that I hope will be addressed in the future, preferably sooner rather than later, but I do not consider syncing to the desktop to be of value. And I really would like to see more development directed to the iPad.

As to pricing. It's relative. I spend more on coffee in a week than I did on either version of OF that I have. For example, which would be more valuable to you: All 3 OF versions or Adobe Acrobat Pro. My guess, for most people, is the OG products, but they are, combined, less expensive.

I agree! Is there any way you can make a free trial available for Mac, iPad, and/or iPhone?? I have heard great things about OmniFocus, and being that I am a graduate student, this app can be very useful. However, I am on a tight budget and I cannot simply spend $40/$80 on an app that I have never tried. I think a free/inexpensive app, even if just for a 3-day trial, could be extremely useful for me and others who are weary of spending this much money without ever having tried the product. This would be greatly appreciated!

grdt stdnt ght t b gd t dng bt f rsrch nw nd thn. That might involve checking the Omni website for details on their 14-day trials for the Mac software, and the 30 day guarantee on any purchases from them. Check the Omni Mouth for a description of the guarantee as it applies to purchases from the App Store.

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-10 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: disemvowel ad hominem.

The older I get, the more often I find myself awake at 3 a.m., wondering if I finished everything that needed get done the previous day and running through tasks for the day ahead. For the past few months, I’ve been relying on The Omni Group’s OmniFocus on my Macs as well as OmniFocus for iPhone to help keep my life in order and sleep a bit more soundly. The newest member of the suite, OmniFocus for iPad, complements the other OmniFocus apps, leveraging the iPad’s larger display nicely. If you’re willing to learn how OmniFocus works, it’s worth the investment in money and time.

I have to confess that in the last year I can't remember recommending OmniFocus, firstly because of the price point and secondly the learning curve. Don't get me wrong, if someone asked about GTD or I believed that was what they 'needed' or even 'wanted', I'd tell them to to read the DA and KD books and then give OF a thorough try-out.

However, having used OF since launch, I find I'm using it less-and-less. I've a folder on my iDevices labelled GTD containing a high-end program, a mid-end one (OF) and four cheapo Apps, and (to my own surprise!) it's those four where I spend most of my GTD time. It's a very different scenario from the early days, when I was an OmniFocus Advocate of the First Order.

Yes, I believe OF is a fantastic GTD system, but I've discovered I'm rapidly devolving (stop laughing whpalmer4!) away from it as other offerings offer a much more compelling and efficient experience.

I'm also disappointed that some basic features, that would take Mr. Case (IMHO!) a couple of hours to code (whilst chowing a California Roll, swigging a Sapporo and keeping one eye on The Big Bang Theory!), fail to materialise year-after-year.

It's sad, really.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2011-10-02 at 09:08 AM..

That interests me. Could you by chance elaborate on which features you are referring to, exactly? And, could you describe how those "low end apps" offer a much more compelling and efficient experience? What could be improved around OF?

Third off, may I ask which app is the "high-end" one? Plase tell me you are not saying tinkerings is more high-end than OF ;p

Tight budget aside ... how much money can you save to streamline the time you spend now not doing what you could have been doing in the first place? If you know you need it, then ...

Project: GTD Application
-- research viable applications
-- download trial options
-- test-run trial options
-- determine prices
-- establish budget priorities
-- decide go/no-go on each purchase option
-- purchase appropriate application(s)

You have an A for this step in the assignment .... :-)

--
JJW

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-10 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: removed ad hominem quoted from previous post and text that referred back to it