The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Template for repeating set of ToDo's Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle sets of events that are repeating. I'm a pilot and my trips involve the obvious flight planning as well as rental cars, hotel rooms, catering for passengers etc. It's a pretty standard set of ToDo's. I'm looking for input as to how others are handling such repeating lists of events. A "template" would be helpful but I don't see any such feature in OmniFocus.

Thanks...
Dave

Curt Clifton's Populate Template Placeholders Applescript handles this admirably for many of us. If you search the forum you should find a number of threads discussing its use if the provided example isn't sufficient.

And even if you don't need all the features of Cliff's excellent script (e.g. placeholder substitution), you can create one or more projects with actions defined and store them in a "dropped" folder so they won't show up in your day-to-day task lists.

When you want to use one of these "templates", just Option-drag it to wherever you like to make a copy of it.

I also created a perspective focused on my dropped templates folder that opens in a seperate, smaller window so I can open it alongside my main outline and easily drag items in.

I believe the Omni folks are planning some kind of official support for templates in a future release. But this work-around seems to function pretty well for most people in the mean time.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-07-12 at 08:36 AM..

Thanks! This is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I also created a perspective focused on my dropped templates folder that opens in a seperate, smaller window so I can open it alongside my main outline and easily drag items in.
Hey, great tip! The need to switch from displaying remaining to all projects and then hunt down the templates folder has been an annoyance that hovers just below the threshold that spurs me to find a solution :-)

Just wanted to add that folks who would like to vote for this feature should, as always, email the support ninjas and ask for it.