The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ideas for paying bills? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I pay bills, they are to people that relate to many different projects, and require different contexts ( write, internet banking, phone, face-to-face)

How can I unify outstanding debts to others ( and to me) and maintain links to the various projects and domains?

It would be useful, any given morning, to sit down and see who I owe money to, and who owes money to me, and what actions to take.

I'm already using flags to link priority tasks.

again, and to risk boring the panel, MORI allows tags, which is useful for problems like this.

peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
It would be useful, any given morning, to sit down and see who I owe money to, and who owes money to me, and what actions to take.

I'm already using flags to link priority tasks.

again, and to risk boring the panel, MORI allows tags, which is useful for problems like this.
Arbitrary metadata columns are coming in a future release. See this post from Ken.

In the mean time, if Mori provides what you need, why not continue managing your bills there?

-Dennis

> if Mori provides what you need, why not continue managing your bills
> there?

As my confidence in OF grows, I intend to migrate from MORI in full.
I have rather too many sources for life management :-)

MORI
OF
iCal
Palm Desktop

... that's two too many IMO

peter

For bills, I do the following:

1) As they come into the house I put them in my Inbox
2) In weekly review I clean my inbox and since the actions of opening up a bill, entering it into Quickin and online bill is under 2 minutes, I just do it.
3) For monthly bills like mortgage and parking I have a re-occuring project for each with 3 tasks. Check budget. Enter into Quicken. Enter online.

All other bills I auto pay via Bill Pay (BofA has presentment and bill pay, very nice) and I just get an email saying I got a bill, what it is for and when it will be paid. I flag it in email and process it during my weekly review (Empty flagged folder).

BZ

1) ditto

2) I put all my paid bills into 3 drawers, one for each month, then process them in one long session when I do my VAT return. - unpaid one go into the B section (for unpaid bills) in an A-Z file.

3) for recurring automated payments I do nothing except check them against bank statements once every 3 months. My accounts program has them as automated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
1) ditto

2) I put all my paid bills into 3 drawers, one for each month, then process them in one long session when I do my VAT return. - unpaid one go into the B section (for unpaid bills) in an A-Z file.

3) for recurring automated payments I do nothing except check them against bank statements once every 3 months. My accounts program has them as automated as well.
Which MAC accounts programme do you use?

I use a PC accounts application in simulation: Money Manager,
It's inexpensive, compact, powerful, reliable, flexible and rigid in all the right places for me. ( the boss developer is very stern and old-school - wants it done just so :-))

Historically this is because I started using it on Atari, then, when that went bellyup and I switched to Mac ( for music), I began using SoftWindows for continuity of records. ( now Parallels and rockin')
I've looked at the new Mac programs, admittedly not in depth, but they are either too simple ( no VAT) or too complex.

http://www.moneysoft.co.uk/index.htm

hope this is of interest

peter