The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Left vs Right ... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I feel what I want to say here could go in many different fora on this site, but OO is where it started, so ...
While contributing to a discussion on a Scrivener forum about the dreaded question of panes vs drawers, in which someone brought up the impression that under the influence of Focus, OO4 may well shift to using panes, I was struck by a couple of things.
Firstly, and most importantly, I am a dedicated user of styles and style sheets, but there is one app in which I don't use the named styles possibilities at all ... OOPro. In all the apps I use, bar OOPro — to the best of my knowledge! — all drawers which contain tools such as style selection are on the right of the main window; in OO(Pro) it is on the left. So it struck me that that was probably the explanation ... if I could have the drawer on the right, I might make better use of the named styles possibility. Would it not be possible to have a preference à la OmniWeb as to which side the drawer is? (In OmniGraffle too?)
Secondly, while thinking about panes, I came to the conclusion that in reality I have no strong objections to panes and they lead to a clean look. However, in all the apps I use which have panes, Yojimbo, GyazMail ..., the main pane is to the right with the listing pane to the left. Now were OO4 to go panes, and were it also to offer the possibility of right vs left for the pane with the style selector, I would end up with the main pane on the left and the 'listing' pane on the right, and I have the feeling that that would be aesthetically uncomfortable.
Why should a drawer on the right feel more natural than a 'listing' pane on the right. The only conclusion I could come to was that it is precisely because a drawer is less closely integrated with the main window, whereas a pane is part of the main window.
Scrivener is not a problem in that it has 'listing' panes to right and left — the 'binder' pane and the 'synopsis/labelling/notes' pane — with the main pane in the centre ... balanced.
Thoughts anyone?
Mark