The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tickler / Auto-Completing Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am very frustrated by the non-auto-completing repeating projects decision. I have read through the forums and I understand that there are some folks who want an auto-repeating project, but without having auto-completion. I am all for supporting the largest user base possible, but this lack of functionality seems to destroy OF's ability to be used as a tickler.

Because I can't get auto-completion I have to manually "move the item forward" by leaving my context based work environment to find the project in question and mark it completed. Doing this at time of task completion requires me to keep in my head all the items in a given project to even realize that is completed. I want this stuff out of my head.

I have a ton of these types of ticklers and they fire all throughout the month. I realize that I could simply do very extensive project reviews on a daily basis, but that seems to be defeating the goals of the software by forcing me to spend excess time clicking through every project to if it is complete and needs to be advanced. I am not adding value with this review, just doing bookkeeping.

What is everyone else using as a tickler for repeating multi-step projects? (As single step repetitions work because of task level repetition.)

You could do this with applescript. Traverse the projects and if they contain no incomplete actions, mark the project as complete.

Unfortuntely there is no AS command for "clean up", as you could replace the OF cleanup toolbar item with a script that completed projects, then ran the OF cleanup.

I too find it un-intuitive (logical though it may be) that a project with all items completed is not complete. Your point about being in context view is a good one. A script like the one suggested above would work pretty well, and I might write it myself at some point (my OF use is only moderate) - but it does require an extra step...

-P

I can see where this could work for me. I will have to see if my Applescript skills can be brought up to speed to pull it off. If you do write it, please let me know.

My script to Verify Next Actions Exist is essentially what you need. It tags action groups and projects that lack incomplete children (by appending a suffix to the action name). If you have some scripting skills you can just change the inner part to mark the parent action complete.

Curt