The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Wait time" tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's my example:

TASK LIST

1) "Post ad to Craigslist - day 0" (15m) (Resource - ME)
2) "Let ad run" (Unassigned)
3) "Check email for replies to ad and repost if necessary - day 1" (15m) (Resource - ME)
4) "Let ad run" (Unassigned)
5) "Check email for replies to ad and repost if necessary - day 2" (15m) (Resource - ME)

When I level it, I WANT this all to adjust based on MY availability, with the "Let ad run" task adjusting effort accordingly.

What is the best way to achieve that?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Nathan

Two approaches:

1) Make the durations of tasks 2 and 4 the minimum time you want your ads running. And assign the resources as you have described. Set Finish->Start dependencies between each step in your chain. OmniPlan won't make tasks 2 and 4 the maximum length, but it will delay tasks 3 and 5 until you're available.

2) Don't make 2 and 4 tasks at all. Instead, set a lead time on the dependencies from 1->3 and 3->5. Those lead times should be whatever minimum time you want your ads running. Assign the remaining 3 tasks to yourself. As in option 1, OmniPlan will delay tasks 3 and 5 until you're available to do them.

As long as tasks 2 and 4 aren't costing you money or using equipment resources that other tasks might want to share, either of these should be a decent approximation. But they don't work if, for example, Craigslist charges you for however long your ads run, and you need to accurately track that in your Plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Two approaches:

1) Make the durations of tasks 2 and 4 the minimum time you want your ads running. And assign the resources as you have described. Set Finish->Start dependencies between each step in your chain. OmniPlan won't make tasks 2 and 4 the maximum length, but it will delay tasks 3 and 5 until you're available.

2) Don't make 2 and 4 tasks at all. Instead, set a lead time on the dependencies from 1->3 and 3->5. Those lead times should be whatever minimum time you want your ads running. Assign the remaining 3 tasks to yourself. As in option 1, OmniPlan will delay tasks 3 and 5 until you're available to do them.

As long as tasks 2 and 4 aren't costing you money or using equipment resources that other tasks might want to share, either of these should be a decent approximation. But they don't work if, for example, Craigslist charges you for however long your ads run, and you need to accurately track that in your Plan.
Thanks you for the post.