The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Add multiple locations to context ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I hoping there is gonna be a way to do use in the next update ? :)

For some situations, the 'address or search' way of setting a location may do what you want.

You could set a search for "grocery" and it will ask Google maps where the nearest grocery store is. Or you could give it the names of your preferred grocery chains (eg "Whole Foods" OR QFC).

Does this help? If not, could you provide an example of when you want to assign multiple locations to a context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If not, could you provide an example of when you want to assign multiple locations to a context?
I would like multiple location reminders too.

For example, in a 'to buy' list of actions there will be items that could be purchased from several different outlets that I may be near, not just one, that I may not be near to.

How about adding location groups so that all/several branches of a particular store could be added as one 'location' and a reminder would trigger when near to one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
I would like multiple location reminders too.

For example, in a 'to buy' list of actions there will be items that could be purchased from several different outlets that I may be near, not just one, that I may not be near to.

How about adding location groups so that all/several branches of a particular store could be added as one 'location' and a reminder would trigger when near to one.
This is exactly what i mean Lizard :)

I agree Tado! I simply need to add multiple, specific locations to each context. Just using a search word is confusing. For instance, if I search "Hardware", I need it to pull up Dixieline, Lowes, and Walmart. But what I get includes Auto and Computer repair shops. Argh. This is important because I have a short list of places I like to shop, and others I don't, so I really need to see just my list, not dozens of irrelavant options.

You can add a search for your preferred list of hardware stores, as Lizard suggested. The Map display will show you the closest of the bunch. Unfortunately you have to have a fixed single target for a location notification at present.

In theory, OmniFocus could take the list of closest matches for all your location searches and set them up as fixed locations, adjusting the list periodically as you move around. There may be some practical considerations that make this too expensive.

+1, but rather than a concept of "location groups," I'd rather there just be a 1-n relationship between a context and many locations.

If I understand you correctly Lizard, you are saying that if I assign a search to a context, it will alert me whenever I am near any result of that search? I don't understand how that is possible unless (A) the search is constantly running, or (B) it runs once and stores the multiple results as locations, in which case I'd rather just set the multiple locations myself.

Going by search results is also suboptimal, because Google will sometimes return results that mention the query in reviews, so that a search for "New Seasons OR Whole Foods" also returns Market of Choice, their competitor.

Ideally, this feature is simply an "Add another location" button on the Edit Context screen, which adds a new location to the context in a 1-n relationship.

A context can have multiple locations, but the location alerts only work if there is a unique location. So, a context can have a search string of "Target" to find all the Target stores, for example, but you will not get a notification that you've got an available action to do at Target when you drive by. It will show the nearest Target on the Map view if you've got an available action there. You can get a notification for being near a specific Target store by using an address search or dropping a pin to mark the location.

How do you propose to view all of the locations you might add? How do you delete just one of them? Do you expect them all to be seen on the map view, or just the closest one?

Just to stir the pot a bit more, I'd like to be able to get multiple location notifications per event. I tie a handful of actions to a location notification for leaving my home so that I remember to enable the passcode on my iPad and tell the thermostat I'm going to be away so it doesn't run the heat or the air conditioning during the hour or two it takes to decide I'm no longer home. If I could get a separate notification for each one (with perhaps an adjustable limit for how many before just getting the "this thing, and <n> others" notification, just like on the Mac), that'd be ducky...