The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adding actions for a context but getting the wrong project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a context called Grocery Store. On the iPhone if I go to that context and add actions, they default to a single-action project I have called Miscellaneous. I want them in a different project, and don't want to manually reassign them. I would rather have them created with a link to a different project automatically. OF doesn't let me choose a default project for a context. How does it choose this project? Can I force it to choose a different project when I create actions in a context?

Contexts and Projects are very different things. Setting both the context and the the Project to the same thing are counterintuitive. Can you give us an example of why you would do this?

I didn't see where the OP was suggesting the project and context should be the same. Sounds to me like OP wants to be able to configure a set of associations between contexts and projects — if I create a task in context A, the project should be set to XYZ, in context B, to PQR, etc. instead of the current single bucket. I don't think that Omni is likely to implement such a feature, but Help→Send Feedback is the way to request it.

In any case, if you are viewing a context, and add an action, it will be placed in that context, and the project will be set to your default list for Single Actions, as set in the Data section of the preferences. This is the project into which Inbox items not having a project set will be swept on a clean-up unless you have set the preferences for cleaning up Inbox items to require a project or a project and a context. If you're only ever assigning items to a single project when viewing contexts, you could simply configure OmniFocus to put the project-less actions you create in your desired project instead of the Miscellaneous one it is using now. Or create the actions when viewing the project, instead of when viewing the context.

thanks whpalmer4. The problem is that I can have only one default list for single actions. I have everything in OF and it breaks into work and home. I have a home default project and a work default project because otherwise I can't have perspectives that show work and home without co-mingling. Right how my default is set to work, which makes my grocery task list a pain to create. If I switch it to home, my work task creation will be more work.

I think the Things idea of having another level above project and context for this sort of thing. I have requested this in the past from OF. After much work with projects and contexts, I find I need a lot of duplication to effectively separate work and home.