The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to use OF with Mail.app?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi - I have been using OF for a month or so now and really liking the features I am figuring out. I trying to understand how the integration with iCal and also Mail works, esp. with Leopard. Anyway - I really just don't get it so I was hoping that someone could post a mini-tutorial and just explain the basics of how OF works & integrates with these applications. If this is already available then I apologize but I hadn't seen it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd appreciate this too - esp OF/Mail/MailTags.

I've been using Mail + Act-On (with Cliff's scripts) and can't make heads or tails of the MailTags OF function. It seems to only copy a tiny bit of a message without a hyperlink to open the original email message, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!

Jennifer

in Mail, i select the text of the message i want to bring into OF, then i select "OmniFocus: send to inbox" in the Services menu... et voilą, a perfect quickentry, with title, link to email, project is prepared to be inserted in OF.
really well working

Ah, I see. I thought there was a way to send the entire message while in the InBox, so you have the original subject line.

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krur View Post
in Mail, i select the text of the message i want to bring into OF, then i select "OmniFocus: send to inbox" in the Services menu... et voilą, a perfect quickentry, with title, link to email, project is prepared to be inserted in OF.
really well working
Krur,
I too have been having success. I am currently running MailTags 2.1.1 and still on 10.4 (I'll let others debug Leopard). Does the new beta of MailTags add functionality?
I've read some things about the current beta (MT) causing problems with previously created keywords - losing those would be a bad thing!

Anyway, can you share what configuration you are using?

Thank you.

Pete

In leopard you can drag a mail item into the note of an action, which creates a link back to the mail item. Almost there!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krur View Post
really well working
hm, i just tried this for the first time, and ended up with a todo with the title of the mailbox as its text, and the selected text in the note of the todo. this behavior is not very useful to me. i was expecting the selection to be the text of the todo (i never use Notes on individual todo items). i also don't see any sort of link back to the mail message, though i'm not interested in having that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown View Post
In leopard you can drag a mail item into the note of an action, which creates a link back to the mail item. Almost there!.
Thanks for pointing that out. That is very helpful.

"Almost there!" ??? What else are you/we waiting for?

Personally, I'd love it to work the way Cliff's script did. I don't want to copy just a bit of text - I just want to send the whole email, with subject line (which I can edit if ned be in OF), with a link back to the message.

The integration is beautiful but I need to bulk dump inbox items without having to select text with mouse, choose from services menu (three levels deep) then press submit. I just want to press F5 or F6 or something and it's there.

Even better would be to be able to do this for many tasks at once having already categorized them with Mailtags, and for things like 'flagged' to be unflagged in Mail.app once they're done.