The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects within contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In order to keep track of both individual actions and ongoing projects assigned to my direct reports, I use a context in OF for Mac for each person. On the Mac I am then able to see both actions and projects when I sit down for a weekly review with each person. This allows me to consolidate quick agenda items ("Ask John about monthly stats") with ongoing projects ("Plan for plant expansion").

I sync my OF database to my iPad, but only the individual action items are displayed in the person's context on the iPad. Projects are not displayed. If I view a project assigned to that person on the iPad, the person is shown within the context of that project, so it appears that the metadata for the project are transferring correctly. Nonetheless, that project is not listed within the person's context.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Welcome to the forums, turpinm!

Assuming the "Show Parent Items in Context Mode" setting (under the View menu) has been enabled on the Mac and subsequently synced over to the iPad, the behavior you're looking for is what's intended.

Note, however, that the parent row is showed beneath the children in Context mode - the thinking here is that we should show it in the position where it would naturally occur in a to do list. Check of the children, check off the parent, then check off the next item in the list.

If that's not what you're seeing, contact our support ninjas and we'll be happy to investigate this with you!

A coworker just pointed out one thing I missed - make sure the View button (which looks like an eye) is set to "Remaining". If you have it set on "Available", the parent rows will be invisible until all the children are checked off.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
A coworker just pointed out one thing I missed - make sure the View button (which looks like an eye) is set to "Remaining". If you have it set on "Available", the parent rows will be invisible until all the children are checked off.

Hope this helps!
AHA!, the view parent setting must be on AND set view to remaining, I don't think I'd tried both these things together at the same time.