The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aesthetics of the New Filter Bar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Sorry for the quiet on our end, everyone. We're certainly listening to your feedback on the view bar interface, but since releasing 1.7 we've been more focused on perspective regressions (1.7.1), crash fixes (1.7.2), and sync issues (the upcoming 1.7.3). We plan to do some more interface work soon after that.
Thanks, Ken!

Love the new view bar, the contrast makes it much easier to know exactly what information I'm viewing.

Apparently Apple loves the new dark bar too, they put one on iTunes (works more like a web page bar though).

I'm just sayin'...

I was never a fan of the old bar; the new one works just fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atracht View Post
Love the new view bar, the contrast makes it much easier to know exactly what information I'm viewing.
yes, I agree. The contrast makes it more intuitive to focus on what the filter is.

If TPTB change it I will sulk

:-)

peter

PS. I haven't read many books on design so consider me naive.

Good grief was my first thought on the bar and the theme in general. After working on it for a while I still think that someone has made a mistake here. I wouldn't mind the "idiot labels" if I could turn them off, but the contrast is just too awful. Couldn't we just have bubble help instead of the labels?

Thanks a lot for the 1.6 theme though. At least it has improved some of it.

I am still using OF daily so that should put my comments in perspective!

The bar is kinda clunky, I don't think it's ghastly.
I do like the indicators of what the drop downs are controlling.
Given that there is a limited amount of attention, I would generally prefer that it go towards functionality, rather than tweaking visual UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
Given that there is a limited amount of attention, I would generally prefer that it go towards functionality, rather than tweaking visual UI
Is there competition for developer resources between visual design and functionality ?

There shouldn't be - developers and visual designers are not the same people - and if their roles are conflated, then basic trade theory would suggest scope for fairly urgent review of the division of labour.

There is, however, inescapable competition for the user's finite attention when weak design foregrounds the application rather than the data, and distracts our eyes.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-10-03 at 07:49 AM..

It has been pointed out to me that in OF 1.7.4 it is now possible to adjust the background color of the filter bar.

I have drafted an Applescript, which can be adjusted to suit your taste, and which shows how the filter bar color can be set.

(The script closes OF, if it is running, and the new colors appear when OF is restarted).

Mine currently looks something like this:

which I find less distracting than the loud contrasts in:

though I would still like:
  • the button labels to be grayed except when displaying a non-default value
  • the ribbon labels to be made optional

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-10-12 at 09:36 PM..