The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Safari? Flock? Firefox? Omniweb? Oh My. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi there.

I just downloaded the latest Omniweb build last night - my first time using Omniweb. So far, so good. I heard a lot about it. I noticed a few things though, and I beg you not to take this as a flame/loaded set of questions/unfair critique as a new user. :)

1) I noticed that plugins load, including Saft? Does my Saft work with Omniweb? If so, how do I configure it? It doesn't appear to save my tabs when I quit. I'd really love that and it's a really big reason why I bought Saft in the first place.

2) WHY would I buy Omniweb? This isn't meant to be a cruel question, but just a legitimate one. I currently use Safari since over a year as my default browser. Sometimes I fire up Flock or Shiira just for fun - but that's about it. What makes Omniweb worth the price? I like Shiira's Expose-like feature, but it's still too raw to use as a normal browser. Firefox runs way too big on my machine (Powerbook G4) for me to really want to use it (I do use it on PC though). Flock is just there because I think their icon rocks and it has promise. Also, the UI is really very mac-like and nice.

But Safari is still my #1 and I don't understand what should draw me to Omniweb yet. I use SafariStand for thumbs like Omniweb... so what's the draw?

I did notice that Omniweb is faster than Safari. I do like that. But that's really the only thing. Any tips? I'm using Omniweb right now to post this but I'd love to read about in detail differences someplace.

3) You guys really need a "open new tab" button. :) I know there's the little gizmo in the thumbnails drawer, but it would be nice if you could add a button to the toolbar. Or maybe I missed it?

So far, really nice though. I'm just wondering why it's worth the price - other than the fact that you guys need to make a living and capitalism rocks (that, I do agree with :) ).

Anyway, this isn't meant as a flame, but just genuine interest. I'm basically looking for an excuse here. Help me out. :)