The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Firefox 3.6: URL protocol associations dropped Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using the approach described here for over two years to capture links from firefox (and Lotus Notes) into OmniFocus. Basically it's an applescript wrapped in a .app that is associated with an URL protocol.

I think better ways of doing this have emerged since then, but this has been working fine for me so I've left well enough alone. Most recently of course, OF 1.8 will support inbox capture via the omnifocus:// URL, and that'll certainly be best, so I've been planning to revamping my URL capture when 1.8 is out. Yeah, I know about the sneakypeak - and I've been tempted, but for the last couple releases I've been waiting for GA - just too busy to be an early adopter most of the time. If 1.8 will be a while longer, I may take the plunge especially in view of the following:

So last night Firefox prompted me to upgrade to 3.6, same as it has several times over the last couple years. Firefox appears to have forgotten about its associate for the "cutof://" URL protocol:

Code:
Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (cutof) isn't associated with any program.
Using the URL outside of firefox (i.e. in Safari) still invokes the .app fine.

I've followed the instructions here but to no avail. Anyone else observe anything this when upgrading to FireFox 3.6? If so, did you get it figured?

I got this fixed - just posting here in case anyone else stumbles across this problem.

I used the RCDefaultApp preference pane (which I had installed a long time ago) to track down the protocol, and set it to "<disabled>". On the next launch of an URL using the protocol, Firefox correctly asked me what app I wanted to use.

All good now. Next step for me on this front is to switch over to use the omnifocus:// URL when OF 1.8 goes GA.

Cheers, hope everyone's doing well.